Users Warned Of ‘Dislike’ Scam On FacebookAugust 18th, 2010 - 7:43 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Aug 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Users are being warned of the new scam that is plaguing Facebook over the last week. Considering that there was a demand on behalf of the users to have a dislike button alongside the like button, the users have been warned against clicking on the link that claims to install the dislike button on the users social networking profile. The application has been called a scam as it tries to get users to fill a form that completes a survey and also takes details for sending spam later. The rogue application also gets into the user’s profile and posts spam messages to encourage the user’s friends to click on the link as well.
The link that claims to install the ‘Official Facebook Dislike Button’ actually provides an add-on for the user’s browser. Experts said that though it is unclear whether the add-on is dangerous or not, it is obviously not coming from Facebook nor approved by it. A spokesperson for Facebook said that they were always looking for ways to improve and protect against this sort of threat. The threat from the link is not yet clear but it has been said that it could lead to the receiving of a number of spam messages.
With as many as 500 million users, even a single application possesses the power to reach millions of people all over. The social networking site was also recently slammed for the lack of security for the users and made several changes to the security options. As for now, the users can only like things or post a comment when they want to express themselves regarding someone else’s post.
- Beware of Facebook's 'dislike button' scam - Aug 17, 2010
- Fake 'dislike' button spreads across Facebook - Aug 17, 2010
- 'Hacker' application on Facebook stealing users' personal info - Aug 18, 2010
- Cyber criminals increasingly targeting social networks - Jan 19, 2011
- Cyber criminals to target social networks, mobile devices: Security Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Warning for Facebook users: 'Sexiest video' message contains malware - May 19, 2010
- Be Wary Of Rogue App In Facebook! - Jul 07, 2010
- Facebook Clickjacking Worm May Hurt Your Wallet, Warns Sophos - Aug 19, 2010
- A single click protects kids from pedophiles - Jul 08, 2012
- Rockmelt: A Social Browser Emerges In The Web - Nov 09, 2010
- 'See who viewed your profile' is latest Facebook scam - Nov 30, 2010
- Facebook has more than 83 mn fake users - Aug 02, 2012
- Rogue Facebook app goes viral - Jul 07, 2010
- Wave of spams counter Facebook joy over Osama's death - May 03, 2011
- 'Clickjacking' epidemic spreads across Facebook - Jun 04, 2010