Today is the IBM PC’s 30th birthdayAugust 12th, 2011 - 6:19 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) IBM will commemorate the manufacture of the first “Personal Computer” on the 12th of August. The first computer which was considered simple enough for personal use was made on the 12th of August 1981 by IBM. The computer which ushered in the term Personal Computer was named 5150.
On the eve of the 30th anniversary of the manufacture of PC, one of the engineers who were involved in the production of the machine, Dr. Mark Dean, expressed his fears that the era of the PC is coming to an end. According to Dean, technological advancements and new devices will take over from the personal computer.
He wrote in his personal blog post that, “…they’re going the way of the vacuum tube, typewriter, vinyl records, CRT and incandescent light bulbs…PCs are being replaced at the center of computing not by another type of device—though there’s plenty of excitement about smart phones and tablets—but by new ideas about the role that computing can play in progress.”
With the introduction of smart phones and tablet devices, the conventional PC is gradually being replaced as the leading edge of computing. Dean admitted in his post that his main computing device is his tablet computer.
- Lenovo pips Dell to become world's second largest PC maker - Oct 13, 2011
- Steve Jobs biography to be released in November - Aug 16, 2011
- Cloud-based tablet solution for students launched - Jan 25, 2012
- Programme converts sign language into text - Mar 12, 2012
- In i-Pad era, typewriters still go clickety clack (With Images) - Jun 30, 2010
- Now, your vintage typewriters can look modern - Apr 25, 2012
- IMT organises international conference - Nov 17, 2011
- Windows 8 heads to computer manufacturers - Aug 02, 2012
- China sends 10,000 tablet computers to Thailand - Jun 21, 2012
- How Steve Jobs changed the world - Oct 06, 2011
- HP to exit PC business - Aug 19, 2011
- PC sales in India may rise to 12.71 million in 2012 - Aug 31, 2011
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- Wipro unveils slimmest ultrabook for Indian market - Feb 21, 2012
- Lenovo unveils 12 new products, sees double-digit market share - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: 30th anniversary, 30th birthday, conventional pc, dean, dr mark, eve, excitement, fears, first computer, first personal computer, incandescent light bulbs, leading edge, mark dean, personal use, smart phones, tablet computer, technological advancements, typewriter, vacuum tube, vinyl records