Texts, Talk, Apps Kill 16,000 In USA Over 7 YearsSeptember 24th, 2010 - 7:26 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Sep 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A new study has revealed that cell phones, considered as the most popular means of communications is turning into the major sources for road accidents and killings. The car drivers killed 16000 pedestrians in 6 years starting from 2001 when they got distracted by calls and messaging on mobiles. The study also reveals that the majority of these drivers are below 30. Two researchers associated with the University of North Texas Health Science Center expressed their view that the mass addiction in texting has resulted in the number of road accidents going up like never before. They refereed to the data obtained from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to testify their claims.
The mass interest in mobile messaging has risen sharply since 2001-02. While in 2002 a million messages were sent it rose to a whopping 110 million by the year 2008. The research has also shown that even talking on the cell phone on hands free mode makes the drivers distracted. The advent of the smart phones has made emailing on the move a cakewalk which in a way has added to the problem. This is indeed worrisome as most of the car drivers are aware about the effect of talking while driving but they continue the habit. The psychologists are trying to find a way out.
In the USA 30 states have imposed ban on texting while driving. The other states and some cities allow hands free mode. Unlike DUI cases finding a person texting while driving is hard and that makes the task of the traffic police more difficult. A cop has to be lucky enough to find such a driver.
- Texting kills 5,000 people every year in the US - May 20, 2012
- Study: Texts, talk, apps kill 16,000 people in 7 years - Sep 24, 2010
- US mulls banning phone use while driving - Jul 13, 2011
- Anticipating SMSes, calls too contribute to car crashes - Apr 30, 2012
- Men drivers twice as likely to crash as women: Survey - Apr 18, 2011
- Male drivers are twice as likely to crash because of distraction - Apr 18, 2011
- Now mobile phone jammers to minimise road accidents - Sep 14, 2012
- Texts, Talk And Apps Have Killed Around 16,000 Persons From 2001 to 2007 - Sep 24, 2010
- Study reveals that despite ban on Cell phone usage while driving accident rates still high - Jul 08, 2011
- Hands-free texting app developed - Feb 17, 2010
- We risk life using mobile phones on roads - Sep 23, 2011
- Australia to call blanket ban on all mobile phone in vehicles - Feb 07, 2011
- Teens Addicted To Driving While Doing Other Work Simultaneously - Aug 07, 2010
- Texting ban has not lowered US accident rate - Sep 29, 2010
- Using phone while driving makes you more cautious of other drivers - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,