Tech group to release USB dongle that “hacks” PlayStation 3August 21st, 2010 - 1:26 am ICT by BNO News
MINATO, TOKYO (BNO NEWS) — A Chinese tech group, PS Jailbreak, is claiming to be on the verge of releasing a USB dongle that allows PlayStation 3 users to play pirated and homemade games.
Sony’s popular PlayStation 3 (PS3) has been on the market for almost four years, and has successfully prevented any hacking into its system, being the only games console on the market that has not been hacked.
However, the group of hardware hackers claim that their soon to be released product allows users to save games on their PS3 hard drive. According to several videos already posted online, the device is inserted into a USB port on the console and the product begins to “debug” the console.
The dongle is also supposedly capable of blocking Sony’s mandatory firmware updates, which might otherwise disable the hack. In addition, the jailbreak claims to allow users to play and reproduce non-Sony-approved software, including applications.
Sony will probably begin working on a patch to block the alleged hack, although the ability to play pirated games could economically benefit PS3 users and encourage new consumers to buy the console.
- PS3 Update Unveiled By Sony, Aimed At Curbing Piracy - Jan 27, 2011
- Facebook hires Sony hacker - Jun 30, 2011
- Hacker, who unlocked iPhone, 'breaks into' PlayStation 3 - Jan 26, 2010
- PS3 Update 3.21 Unveiled By Sony - Apr 01, 2010
- Playstation Plus Unveiled At E3 By Sony - Jun 16, 2010
- Sony offers free 30 days membership because of hack attack - May 03, 2011
- PlayStation 3 to release new expanded hard drives with 160GB and 320GB capacity in North America - Aug 18, 2010
- PS3 Update Adds 3D Blu-Ray Support, Users Are Excited - Sep 21, 2010
- Microsoft to bring cable TV content to Xbox game console - Oct 06, 2011
- High tax structure keeping away PlayStation customers: Sony - Oct 12, 2010
- Gold PS3 Released For The Geeks With Deep Pockets - Dec 12, 2009
- Sony to restore PlayStation network in Japan - Jul 05, 2011
- PlayStation Network Goes Down, Users Frown - Mar 01, 2010
- Hulu Plus All Set to Launch on PS3 - Nov 06, 2010
- Sony PS3 To Offer Support For 720p HD Format, Confirmed - Jul 27, 2010