Steve Jobs gets a new liver from where?June 20th, 2009 - 9:36 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs underwent a secret liver transplant two months ago in Tennessee.
In 2004 Jobs revealed he had been treated for pancreatic cancer which commonly spreads to the liver.
After widespread speculation that the cancer may have returned due to his excessive weight loss in 2008, Jobs announced in January that he was being treated for a “hormone imbalance”.
Jobs is reportedly recovering well and expected to return to Apple at the end of June as planned, however, he may only work part-time for the first couple of months
Since he took medical leave five months ago chief operating officer Tim Cook has been running the company and will take on more of a leadership role in the near future, including joining the company’s board.
There has been constant, merciless speculation about Jobs’ health for months, justified to some extent by the sense that Apple’s well-being is closely tied to his.
Despite Jobs’ absence, Apple has continued on a steady course which may help prepare and reassure investors for whenever he decides to scale back or leave.
Apple refused to comment on The Wall Street Journal story, apart from saying, “Steve continues to look forward to returning at the end of June, and there’s nothing further to say.”
No information was supplied on where the donor liver came from and the United Network for Organ Sharing said there are currently 15,771 Americans waiting for a liver today. In 2008 1,481 people died in America while waiting for liver transplants.
- Apple Inc. Officials Tight-lipped About Steve Jobs's Medical Leave - Jan 18, 2011
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs died of respiratory arrest, death certificate shows - Oct 11, 2011
- Milestones in a tech legend's journey - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple CEO Jobs to take medical leave - Jan 18, 2011
- Apple to hold Steve Jobs memorial Sunday - Oct 15, 2011
- Apple CEO health mystery: White House doesn't release meeting photo - Feb 18, 2011
- Hospital confirms Jobs liver transplant - Jun 24, 2009
- Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO - Aug 25, 2011
- New video shows Apple CEO suffering from pain - Feb 22, 2011
- Apple CEO has just six weeks to live: Report - Feb 17, 2011
- Steve Jobs makes surprise appearance to unveil iPad2 - Mar 03, 2011
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs dead at 56 - Oct 06, 2011
- World says iGrieve as Steve Jobs passes away - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple CEO Steve Jobs resigns due to health problems - Aug 25, 2011
- Apple CEO Steve Jobs has had liver transplant during medical leave - Jun 20, 2009
Tags: apple, cancer, ceo, chief operating officer, donor liver, excessive weight loss, extent, five months, hormone imbalance, leadership role, liver transplant, liver transplants, part time, s board, speculation, steve jobs, tim cook, united network, wall street, wall street journal