Social networking sites Facebook & Twitter absent from ‘free speech pact’March 8th, 2011 - 12:03 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Mar 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The proposed ‘Free Speech Pact’ amongst some tech websites seem to be in danger after some top websites failed to sign up for it.
The initiative of Google, Yahoo and Microsoft seems to have hit a snag because three years after its introduction there has been no additional signatories to the pact. Top sites like Twitter and Facebook have all stayed away from the pact.
The move which is dubbed ‘Global Network Initiative’ is meant to balance the importance of profits and responsible reporting. The tech companies that started that initiative were hoping that they would get the needed momentum to bring changes to the industry.
That dream has been dealt a great blow because Twitter and Facebook combined has almost a billion users and nothing could be considered serious without the involvement of the two companies.
The managing director of Global Network Initiative, Susan Morgan, told reporters that, “Recent events really show that the issues of freedom of expression and privacy are relevant to companies across the board in the technology sector. Things really seem to be accelerating.”
The companies that have signed up to the initiative would be accessed at the end of the year to determined if they have done enough to promote freedom of speech and privacy.
- Yahoo to acquire Interclick for $270 mn - Nov 02, 2011
- Google has one billion users - Jun 22, 2011
- Foul content on websites hurts religious Indians, court told (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Court rejects plea against Microsoft, fines petitioner (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Court accepts Yahoo plea, fines complainant (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Facebook buys AOL patents from Microsoft - Apr 24, 2012
- Court accepts Yahoo application, fines petitioner - Mar 05, 2012
- Content screening: Facebook, others to reply in 15 days (Second Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- High court quashes proceedings against Microsoft India - Mar 19, 2012
- Court rejects plea against Microsoft, fines petitioner (Third Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Court quashes proceedings against Microsoft India (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Website content: Google, Facebook plea to be heard Aug 7 - May 03, 2012
- Yahoo CEO firing shocks the corporate world - Sep 08, 2011
- Twitter wants to compete with the social networking site Facebook with its new update - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,