Skype On An Expansion DriveDecember 23rd, 2010 - 2:56 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec 23, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The new CEO of Skype has some ambitious plans for the Internet telephony service provider. It got separated from online auction service eBay last year. It accomplished the physical separation last month and thereafter moved to another setup in Palo Alto. The company is also hiring a lot of workers presently and the CEO has some big ideas that are waiting for implementation. The company is now facing a new challenge and that is how it can make a large part of its global user base into customers that actually pay. Irene Berlinsky, a senior analyst at IDC, top technology research company said “Skype is positioned really well going forward in terms of name recognition” but also added that it remains to be seen if it can drive revenues the way it desires.
Tony Bates, the new CEO of Skype was the Senior VP at Cisco earlier and he said in a statement that he joined Skype with a vision to take it to next level. Skype according to him is doing really well and there is scope for further growth. However, its revenue mostly comes from the users who use the software to make calls to land line and mobile phones. It has been found that a little more than 8 million out of Skype’s 124 million monthly users pay up for using this service. The CEO of the company has a target of wooing the corporate users to use its service and boost its revenue margin significantly.
Skype also wants to extend its service to mobile devices and TV. It has a workforce of 830 and plans to add another 300 to 400 employees soon.
- Microsoft to acquire Skype for $8.5 billion - May 10, 2011
- Cisco plans to buy Skype - Aug 31, 2010
- Microsoft buys Skype for $8.5 billion - May 10, 2011
- Microsoft acquires Skype for $8.5 bn - Oct 14, 2011
- Skype and Facebook join hands to counter Google Voice - Sep 30, 2010
- Plintron Global Technology to double headcount in a year - Sep 05, 2011
- Location-sharing startup joins Facebook - Dec 06, 2011
- Now, China makes Skype illegal - Dec 31, 2010
- Keste to expand India operations with $2.5 mn investment - Jul 12, 2012
- Skype Outage Caused Confusion Among Users Worldwide - Dec 23, 2010
- Yahoo names new CEO (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Skype says 'supernodes' went offline in worldwide crash - Dec 23, 2010
- Ebay announces plan to separate from Skype - Apr 15, 2009
- eBay fourth-quarter profit jumps 16 percent as Paypal and StubHub grow - Jan 21, 2010
Tags: ambitious plans, auction service, berlinsky, corporate users, ebay, expansion drive, global user, internet telephony service, internet telephony service provider, mobile devices, new challenge, next level, physical separation, ranjan, senior analyst, skype, target, technology research, tony bates, top technology