Seagate to acquire Samsung’s hard drive operations for $1.37 billionApril 19th, 2011 - 8:01 pm ICT by BNO News
SCOTTS VALLEY, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — Seagate Technology Plc on Tuesday announced its agreement to acquire Samsung Electronics Co.’s hard disk drive operations for approximately $1.375 billion.
Under the terms of the agreement, Samsung will receive 50 percent of Seagate’s ordinary shares - 45.2 million shares valued at $687.5 million, which is approximately 9.6 percent ownership of Seagate - and the remaining 50 percent in cash.
In addition, the agreement will expand the strategic relationship between the two companies, as Samsung will be providing Seagate with a NAND flash memory for its solid state drives, solid state hybrid drives and other products.
Meanwhile, Seagate will supply disk drives to Samsung for PCs, notebooks and consumer electronics.
“With these agreements, we expect to achieve greater scale and deliver a broader range of innovative storage products and solutions to our customers, while facilitating our long-term relationship with Samsung,” said Steve Luczo, Seagate chairman, president and CEO.
The transactions, which are expected to close by the end of the year, are still subject to customary closing conditions, including review by U.S. and international regulators.
- Samsung launches premium notebook for Rs.1,02,990 in India - Aug 31, 2012
- Samsung unveils product portfolio for 2011 - Apr 13, 2011
- Wipro unveils slimmest ultrabook for Indian market - Feb 21, 2012
- Samsung to acquire Sony stake in LCD joint venture - Dec 26, 2011
- Samsung launches ultra notebook series in India - Feb 23, 2012
- LG is leader in Mexico's 3D TV market - Feb 09, 2012
- Samsung launches smart TV for Indian market - Mar 18, 2012
- Samsung seeks 30 percent share in laser printer market - May 19, 2010
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- Samsung Electronics' operating profit grows 13 percent in Q3 - Oct 28, 2011
- Most wished for electronics products this Christmas - Nov 27, 2009
- HP eyes 21.5 percent market share in consumer notebook segment - Jun 20, 2012
- India's PC market declines - Feb 15, 2012
- Seagate 1.5TB GoFlex Portable Drive - Sep 24, 2010
- Kanoria Chemicals to acquire Switzerland-based firm - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 5 million, bno, ceo, drive operations, hard disk drive, hard drive, international regulators, long term relationship, nand flash memory, notebooks, ordinary shares, samsung, samsung electronics, samsung electronics co, scotts valley california, seagate technology, solid state, steve luczo, storage products, technology plc