Netflix Service Restored After Temporary OutageOctober 22nd, 2010 - 7:31 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Oct 22, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Netflix users were in for an unexpected shock on Thursday as they could not access the main website and neither could avail the Watch Instantly streaming service. However, after some hours of outage the site was back in place and the Netflix management put up a tweet thanking the users for their co- operation and patience. The service outage took place on Thursday and on the afternoon the service was restored by its crews. However, the company did not specify what exactly led to the interruption of the service. The users were a tad confused earlier and some people feared that the site got hacked. However, that was not the case at all. The people who tried to login the website were greeted with a brief “Netflix Site Error” message and were informed that their request could not be processed.
Even the Netflix app for iPhone was out of order for some time. This outage comes at a time when the company is mulling about rolling out a streaming only service for the users in USA. The company has got good response from the users in Canada with its pure streaming service and that explains why it wants to offer a similar service in the USA. This was confirmed by Reed Hastings the chief executive of Netflix.
The company would like to wait and watch to see if the customers in USA prefer the streaming based approach. As of now the company spends over $500 million per year for mailing the DVDs to its subscribed users but the CEO made it clear that the future definitely lies in streaming service.
- Netflix App Headed For Android Market - Aug 12, 2010
- YouTube to diversify into movie rentals - Apr 27, 2011
- Netflix Jazzing Up Its Service With Several Enhancements - Oct 21, 2010
- Netflix signs a streaming deal with Disney - Dec 09, 2010
- Netflix outage frustrates subscribers - Jun 21, 2011
- Netflix Plans to Launch 'Streaming Only' Service - Oct 22, 2010
- Netflix Down On Friday Evening - Feb 20, 2010
- Netflix seeks change to US law to allow Facebook link - Sep 24, 2011
- Bug causes Twitter outage on Thursday - Jun 22, 2012
- NBC Adds To Netflix Finally - Sep 27, 2010
- Beware of Valentine's spam, warns IT security firm - Feb 13, 2012
- Facebook Launches New Service For Retailers - Nov 06, 2010
- Facebook Developers admit that they sold User Ids to data brokers - Nov 02, 2010
- New tools found for hacking Wi-Fi - Feb 17, 2011
- Netflix Ties Up With Nintendo - Jan 22, 2010