Netflix Jazzing Up Its Service With Several EnhancementsOctober 21st, 2010 - 9:29 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Oct 21, (THAINDIAN NEWS) It seems that Netflix is hell bent on jazzing up its service to take on its rivals and newcomers in the segment. It recently announced that it will introduce disc-free online TV shows and movies to popular consoles like the PS3 of Sony and Wii of Nintendo. Reed Hastings who is the CEO of Netflix said in an interview that it will offer more flexibility to the Wii users and more people will get attracted to the services offered by Netflix. The plans will be made available to the subscribers who are willing to pay at least $9 a month or more.
Apart from the games, the streaming service will also be made available for the computers and wireless portable web access devices including iPad. The newly unveiled Netflix app can be downloaded by the subscribers for free with their Wiimote. The consumers are required to sign up for any of the available plans to stream the content from Netflix on any device.
Netflix is also revamping the streaming service in other ways. The service now comes with enhanced Dolby Digital Plus surround. The standard claims to enhance the quality of sound with higher bitrates even though it is a lossy codec. What it means is that the customers who have to rent media content and movies online from Netflix can expect significant improvement in their aural experience. This is the first time that Netflix is using its first surround codec. The first device to add support for the Dolby Digital Plus standard is the PS3 console from Sony. The standard is now supported by a number of media players and top notch smart phones.
- Playstation Plus Unveiled At E3 By Sony - Jun 16, 2010
- Netflix Ties Up With Nintendo - Jan 22, 2010
- Microsoft to bring cable TV content to Xbox game console - Oct 06, 2011
- YouTube to diversify into movie rentals - Apr 27, 2011
- Netflix outage frustrates subscribers - Jun 21, 2011
- Hulu Plus All Set to Launch on PS3 - Nov 06, 2010
- Sony Music, YRF strike digital music rights deal - Aug 08, 2011
- 'Mad Men' reruns to be streamed on Netflix - Apr 07, 2011
- Sony Dash Comes With Hulu Plus Support Now - Dec 09, 2010
- Online streaming overtakes digital delivery as Blockbuster shuts shop - Sep 24, 2010
- Hulu Plus Makes Debut, But Can It Compete With Netflix? - Jun 30, 2010
- RIM ties up with Dolby for its audio technology - Sep 13, 2011
- Robin Wright in talks to join 'House of Cards' - Jun 10, 2011
- PS3 Update Unveiled By Sony, Aimed At Curbing Piracy - Jan 27, 2011
- Netflix's Epix Distribution Deal Comes At A Cost - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: aural experience, consoles, enhancements, free online tv, free online tv shows and movies, lossy, media content, media players, netflix, newcomers, ps3, quality of sound, reed hastings, rivals, significant improvement, smart phones, streaming service, web access, wii, wiimote