Netflix App Headed For Android MarketAugust 12th, 2010 - 7:43 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Aug 12, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Netflix is gearing up for conquering the mobile market as it seems from its latest moves. The company has made an application meant for the Android devices and it is eyeing the fast emerging android market. This application will enable the users of the various android devices to stream TV shows and movies straight to their devices and for the movie addicted lot this is nothing short of a boon. The industry buzz is that the forthcoming application will enable video streaming over both WiFi and 3G. This is beneficial for the users as they will be able to access movies where there is no 3G data coverage.
This move by Netflix contradicts with what its CEO Reed Hastings said earlier this year. He said at that time that Netflix was not planning to start streaming to smaller screens. Now it is also being heard that the company is planning a software meant for the Apple iPhone. This seems likely since Netflix has already released a version for Apple’s tablet internet device iPad this year. Ever since Netflix posted an ad for a vacancy for an engineer for making “Streaming client implementations on Android devices” the buzz regarding the so called Android app is gaining momentum. However the ad did not specify if the mentioned Android devices would be the present generation numerous smartphones that run on android.
Whatever the truth may be this is certain that the company is willing to grab a share of the nascent web streaming market. The industry experts are also thinking that handheld devices are going to become the most preferred devices for web access in near future.
- Sony enters Indian tablet market - Dec 14, 2011
- Netflix Jazzing Up Its Service With Several Enhancements - Oct 21, 2010
- Rumours of 'BlackBerry Cyclone' to take on Apple TV - Jul 16, 2011
- Google, O-Zone tie up to provide free Wi-Fi access - Jan 12, 2012
- HP Unveils TouchPad To Take On Rival Tablets - Feb 10, 2011
- Galaxy Tab Price Unveiled By Verizon - Oct 21, 2010
- Motorola XOOM tablet launched in India - Jun 28, 2011
- Apple iPad available for Rs.27,900 in India - Jan 28, 2011
- Not seen full movie on flight? Download it - Sep 16, 2011
- China's G'Five to launch 3G tablets at Rs.10,000 by June-end - May 24, 2011
- Vodafone launches mobile wi-fi device - Mar 14, 2011
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Going On Sale On Best Buy - Oct 26, 2010
- BlackBerry signs Indian-led company for tablet apps - Mar 31, 2011
- Apple confirms that iPad has some Wi-Fi issues - Apr 07, 2010
- Samsung launches smart TV for Indian market - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: apple iphone, boon, client implementations, data coverage, gaining momentum, handheld devices, industry buzz, industry experts, internet device, iphone, mobile market, netflix, preferred devices, ranjan, reed hastings, smartphones, streaming client, vacancy, web access, wifi