Nearly $1 billion to be invested in the emerging health information technology industryFebruary 13th, 2010 - 2:39 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) – Nearly $1 billion in Recovery Act awards to advance the adoption and use of health information technology and train workers for health care jobs were announced on Friday by Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Department of Labor (DOL) Secretary Hilda Solis.
This Recovery Act investment will help the emerging health information technology (IT) industry by facilitating it to over 100,000 hospitals and supporting tens of thousands of jobs.
The HHS grant awards total over $750 million and are part of a federal initiative for the meaningful use of health IT. The awards will help health care providers to adopt and use electronic health records in an efficient way to improve the quality and efficiency of the health care system.
In order to accomplish this goal $386 million will be used to facilitate health information exchange at state and regional level. The rest will be managed by non-profit organizations to support the development of regional extension centers that will aid health professionals in using and implementing health IT. By 2014 it is expected to have this goal fulfilled.
More than $225 million awarded by the DOL will be used in training 15,000 people for developing the required skills for a health care career as well as IT or high growth fields. The DOL expects that in two years a rough estimate of 10,000 job opportunities will open in areas like nursing, pharmacy technology and information technology.
“The investments announced today will ensure thousands of workers across the nation can receive high-quality training and employment services, which will lead to good jobs in healthcare and other industries offering career-track employment and good pay and benefits,” said Labor Secretary Solis.
- Kentucky receives nearly $10 million to expand electronic health information - Feb 16, 2010
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.5 percent, lowest in almost 3 years - Jan 07, 2012
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.1 percent, lowest in 3 years - May 05, 2012
- U.S. jobless rate drops to 8.1% as people give up searching for work - Sep 08, 2012
- Obama appoints chief technology officer - Mar 10, 2012
- India, US to cooperate on labour issues - Feb 03, 2012
- Department of Labor to grant $15 million to assist workers affected by the end of Space Shuttle Program - Jun 02, 2010
- Two NY Community Colleges to receive over $6 million in Recovery Act grants - Feb 17, 2010
- US hopes to learn from India's job creation schemes - Apr 22, 2010
- US praises NREGS as innovative (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- G20 labour ministers stress job creation - Apr 21, 2010
- US unemployment rate dips to 8.9 percent, lowest in nearly two years - Mar 05, 2011
- G20 labour ministers for faster job creation to spur recovery (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- US insurers will have to pay for birth control - Aug 02, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,