MySpace cut staff in halfJanuary 12th, 2011 - 8:46 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Jan 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) News Corp has confirmed that it will indeed be cutting half of the workforce at MySpace.
The announcement was made on Tuesday in a statement. The company revealed that about 500 of its current workforce will be made to go.
Many people believe that the move is intended to set the stage for the social network site to be sold. The company is said to be performing badly financially and it is believed that selling it off is an option that the directors have considered.
The statement which was signed by the chief executive, Mike Jones, stated that, “Today’s tough but necessary changes were taken in order to provide the company with a clear path for sustained growth and profitability.”
MySpace was acquired in 2005 by News Corp for $580m. The company has not been performing that well with strict competition coming from Facebook, which currently has more than half a billion users. MySpace users are on the decline. The website’s users are estimated to be in the tens of millions.
Rumors about possible layoffs were ignited last November when an official of News Corp revealed during an interview that the social networking site was making losses that were “unsustainable.”
- MySpace all set to have massive layoffs - Jan 05, 2011
- News Corp sells MySpace for $35 mn - Jun 30, 2011
- Justin Timberlake to promote MySpace - Jun 30, 2011
- MySpace To Axe Half Of Its Staffs - Jan 12, 2011
- Myspace Put "On Notice" By News Corp - Nov 05, 2010
- Facebook generates feel good factor - Jun 27, 2012
- MySpace to close Oz ops in order to cut 500 jobs - Jan 12, 2011
- MySpace reveals that it has leaked some personal data to advertisers - Oct 25, 2010
- MySpace Leaks User Data To Advertisers - Oct 25, 2010
- MySpace To Take Actions Against Application Developers Sharing Data About Users - Oct 25, 2010
- Facebook dismisses shutting down rumors - Jan 10, 2011
- Ad space on MySpace bought by 'Social Network' - Sep 23, 2010
- Facebook founder Zuckerberg is Time's Person of Year (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Social networking costs Britain 14 bn pounds in lost work time - Aug 06, 2010
- Facebook's IPO will give birth to many millionaires - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,