Gorilla Glass Soon To Be Used In HDTVsAugust 3rd, 2010 - 7:27 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Aug 3, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The HD LCD and LED TVs are becoming feature rich and more versatile with time but their only drawback is the fragility, particularly that of the screen. While the TV makers continue to focus on the aesthetics and design of the models the screen used in these gadgets continue to be vulnerable to scratch and chances of breakage. However, this is going to change in the near future. The gorilla Glass made by Corning Inc of New York is all set to invade the HDTV market and the next generation HDTVs will have far robust and scratch proof screen, an addition that is going to be a boon for the users. It is quite amazing that this durable glass was invented way back in 1962 but it has not been used much, except in smart phones and tablet PCs till date.
It was left unused in the research facility of the company for decades literally. It was only in 2008 that the glass was used in making smart phone screens. The company is going to tie up with several HDTV companies and as a result the new set of HDTVs with super strong screen will make debut in the next year. However, the TVs with this glass will be a tad costlier and the price of such sets will go up by $60.
The Gorilla glass is three times stronger than conventional glasses and it is scratch proof as well. Corning expects the sale of the glass to grow quadruple in the near future. The company is going to expand its existing facilities to ramp up production of the glass.
- Walmart's Cyber Monday Deals Are Simply Irresistible! - Nov 28, 2010
- Walmart Offers Some Black Friday Goodies On Thanksgiving Itself - Nov 25, 2010
- Cox Communications Offering 3D Telecast Of Yankees Game - Jul 10, 2010
- Toshiba Reportedly Introducing 3D TVs That Require No Special Glasses - Aug 25, 2010
- Motorola launches slimmer Razr for Rs.33,990 - Nov 21, 2011
- 40 inch Westinghouse 1080p LCD HDTV: Target's Black Friday Bonanza! - Nov 12, 2010
- India a huge market for Taiwanese LCD TV makers - Oct 01, 2010
- Wal-Mart looking into the reasons why their Black Friday 2010 ads was leaked - Nov 15, 2010
- Samsung's next generation plasma HDTV reviewed - Sep 25, 2010
- DirecTV 3D Service To Be Launched In 2010 - Dec 30, 2009
- New LTE tech to revolutionize wireless experience - Oct 28, 2010
- Black Friday 2010 Brings Bonanza For Gadget Lovers - Nov 18, 2010
- Cyber Monday Deals For Gadget Lovers - Nov 30, 2010
- Cyber Monday Electronic Deals Creating Waves Everywhere! - Nov 28, 2010
- Samsung unveils high definition 3D TVs - Aug 04, 2010
Tags: aesthetics, boon, conventional glasses, corning inc, drawback, fragility, gadgets, gorilla, hd, hdtv, hdtvs, next generation, phone screens, scratch proof, smart phone, smart phones, tablet pcs, three times, tv makers, tvs