Google sues US governmentNovember 2nd, 2010 - 11:06 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Mountain View, Nov 2 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Google has filed a lawsuit against the US government for failing to consider it in a 5-year contract that is worth some $59million. The project involves upgrading the email system of the United States Department of Interior. The suit was filed on Friday.
The Internet search giant is accusing the United States government of abusing its discretion and acting in “arbitrary and capricious” manner by considering only proposals that are based on the email technology of Microsoft Corporation.
Google Inc. believes that the Department of Interior was not fair to the Internet giant and further claimed that “assurances to Google representatives that DOI would conduct a full and open competition for its messaging requirements”. The complaint further said “The RFQ (request for proposal) specified that only the Microsoft Business productivity Online Suite-Federal (”BPOS-Federal”) could be proposed”.
Google is determined to reduce its over-dependence on advertising. The company derives about 97 percent of its revenue from advertising and the company wants to change that. The company’s attempt to move into the app market has failed but the company has insisted previously that it was “profitable”.
The Department of the Interior did not comment on the suit.
- Google Sues US Government for Exclusion of Contract - Nov 03, 2010
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Now, Google tracking our each online move? - Mar 29, 2012
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Google buys Quickoffice - Jun 06, 2012
- Yahoo!, Microsoft and AOL create ad partnership - Nov 10, 2011
- Groupon In Takeover Talks With Google - Nov 22, 2010
- Microsoft reaches patent deal with LG - Jan 13, 2012
- Yahoo to acquire Interclick for $270 mn - Nov 02, 2011
- FCC & cable companies clash over Internet TV - Dec 22, 2010
- Facebook buys AOL patents from Microsoft - Apr 24, 2012
- Google accuses China of interfering with Gmail systems - Mar 21, 2011
- Microsoft allowed to buy Yahoo!'s internet search business - Feb 19, 2010
- Court rejects plea against Microsoft, fines petitioner (Third Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Microsoft reports first loss in 26 years - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: bpos, business productivity, department of interior, department of the interior, email system, email technology, google, google inc, government mountain, internet giant, internet search, microsoft business, microsoft corporation, mountain view, nov 2, open competition, request for proposal, rfq request, united states department, united states government