Google Street View expands to include TorontoOctober 7th, 2009 - 9:41 pm ICT by BNO News
By Michael van Poppel
TORONTO (BNO NEWS) — Google Maps on Wednesday morning expanded its street view feature to include the photographic landscapes of Toronto city streets.
In the past few years, as Google introduced the street view feature for more areas around the world, the service caused privacy concerns for some people, while others see it as a useful tool to navigate a new area or to simply discover the area. A number of U.S. and European cities have already been documented for the service, and more are expected.
The pictures were taken last spring by a special van with roof-top cameras. Google had earlier promised to blurr all faces and other personal information such as license plates, but an initial review of the images showed that the company did not manage to censor everyone. One photo clearly shows a woman riding a bike in Toronto’s Harbord Street.
On other photos, however, faces and license plates are blurred as promised.
Google Maps is a free web mapping service application and technology provided by Google that offers features such as maps and route planning. Except street view, it also offers satellite images of most areas on Earth, with some secret or critical facilities blurred. Google Maps was first announced on the Google Blog on February 8, 2005.
- Google to add Thailand to Street View - Sep 02, 2011
- Google to offer street view of Indian cities soon - May 26, 2011
- Street View on Google Maps comes to Canada - Oct 08, 2009
- Google risks heavy fines for Street View photography in Italy - Oct 27, 2010
- Google told to get clearance for Bangalore street view - Jun 21, 2011
- Police Use Google Image To Crackdown Caravan Theft - Nov 08, 2010
- Google's German Street View to go live after privacy row - Aug 10, 2010
- Google fails to meet China's deadline to apply for online mapping services - Mar 31, 2011
- Google launches virtual tour of world's finest museums - Feb 02, 2011
- Google maps ancient Arctic village - Aug 23, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Google offers virtual visits to Mexican archaeological sites - Aug 18, 2012
- Japanese Woman Sues Google For Showing Her Underwear In Street View Image - Dec 21, 2010
- Google to use 'spy drones' for street mapping - Aug 10, 2010
- Google pulls out of China, sends Chinese visitors to Hong Kong - Mar 23, 2010
Tags: bno, city streets, critical facilities, european cities, google, google street view, harbord street, last spring, license plates, mapping service, photographic landscapes, privacy concerns, route planning, satellite images, service application, technology provided by google, toronto city, van poppel, web mapping, wednesday morning