Google guru Rajeev Motwani deadJune 7th, 2009 - 8:42 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Rajeev Motwani Stanford professor who worked with Google search engine founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin has been found dead in the swimming pool of his home in Atherton, California, on Friday.
Born in Jammu, India, Motwani was grew up in New Delhi before traveling to the United States for his doctorate in computer science at the University of California, Berkeley.
On his blog, Brin led tributes to Motwani as the inspiration behind a number of computing advances. “Today, whenever you use a piece of technology, there is a good chance a little bit of Rajeev Motwani is behind it,” he wrote.
“When Larry and I began to work together on the research that would lead to Google, Rajeev was there to support us and guide us through challenges, both technical and organisational.”
Stanford said Rajeev Motwani’s work on data mining influenced the way algorithms are used in Google searches. It pointed out that he was also an influential investor who backed the initial development of what turned out to be a number of successful hi-tech companies and initiatives, including the internet payment giant PayPal.
A spokesman for the university said the cause of death was unclear. Friends said he could not swim, but was planning to learn.
The 47-year-old Motwani is survived by his wife, Asha Jadeja, and two daughters.
- Google mentor Rajeev Motwani dies - Jun 07, 2009
- Google mentor Rajeev Motwani dies in freak accident - Jun 07, 2009
- Rajeev Motwani found dead in pool - Jun 09, 2009
- A bit of Rajeev Motwani in every technology: Google co-founder - Jun 08, 2009
- Rajeev Motwani passes away - Jun 06, 2009
- Police probe into Google mentor Rajeev Motwani awaits autopsy - Jun 08, 2009
- New book reveals Google's fallout with Apple and exit from China - Apr 10, 2011
- Facebook, Apple may be balkanising the web - Apr 16, 2012
- Meet the man who calls himself the third co-founder of Google - Sep 26, 2008
- Hollywood to make film on Google - Aug 21, 2010
- Google announces management changes - Jan 21, 2011
- Motwani's death due to accidental drowning, say US police - Jul 17, 2009
- Google's Story Coming On Celluloid! - Aug 22, 2010
- Google India unveils new search format for ads - Dec 27, 2011
- Outgoing Google CEO Eric Schmidt wants to expand firm's business in China - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: atherton california, cause of death, computer science, data mining, doctorate, good chance, google, google searches, hi tech companies, initial development, internet payment, jadeja, larry page, larry page and sergey brin, sergey brin, stanford professor, swimming pool, two daughters, university of california berkeley, wife asha