Google asked to halt Street View in IndiaJune 23rd, 2011 - 10:43 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Bangalore, June 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Indian authorities have instructed Google to halt the development of its Street View in the country. The authorities say there are some sensitive installments in the country that should not be compromised for security reasons.
Google collects images for its Street View program. The program gives real-time images along with maps of major cities and countries around the world. Google captures the images by driving fleets of cars through a city or a town’s neighborhoods. The Internet giant said they have stopped filming at the country after the country’s officials asked them not to go ahead.
The additional commissioner of police for law and order in Bangalore, Sunil Kumar, told reporters that Google has been asked to place the collection of data in the country on hold so that the problem can be addressed.
Kumar said that, “Bangalore is a place where there are lot of security-sensitive establishments.”
A spokesperson of Google confirmed the order from the Indian authorities saying, “We
are in discussion with the authorities to address their concerns and have stopped our cars. We hope to resolve the matter at the earliest.”
The Google Street View was launched in 2007 and the program currently operates in 27 countries.
- Google told to get clearance for Bangalore street view - Jun 21, 2011
- Google to offer street view of Indian cities soon - May 26, 2011
- Google risks heavy fines for Street View photography in Italy - Oct 27, 2010
- Google Street View a security threat: BJP - Jul 18, 2011
- Google cleared of grabbing personal data - Jul 30, 2010
- Google to add Thailand to Street View - Sep 02, 2011
- Many UK royal wedding security steps would not work in US - Apr 22, 2011
- Pak security agencies warn of 'vehicle-borne terror attacks' - Jan 25, 2011
- Tight security in Bangalore for peaceful New Year's Eve - Dec 31, 2011
- Google's eye in sky could catch you with pants down - Jun 11, 2012
- NGMA gets a new parallel address on Google Art Project - Apr 10, 2012
- Google to delete personal data collected accidentally - Nov 21, 2010
- Google Street View also copied people's emails, passwords - Oct 24, 2010
- Google fires engineer for privacy violation - Sep 15, 2010
- Google offers virtual visits to Mexican archaeological sites - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: cars, commissioner of police, countries around the world, establishments, fleets, google, google street view, india bangalore, indian authorities, installments, internet giant, june 23, law and order, major cities, maps, real time, security reasons, spokesperson, sunil kumar, time images