Frustrating Google Outage Caused by Asia?May 15th, 2009 - 9:43 pm ICT by GD
Google’s search engine, email and other services slowed down and were not accessible on Thursday causing distress to millions over the world who have learned to live with the way Google has made life easier on this planet. The outage that lasted two hours brought some embarrassment to Google that markets its products based on their extreme dependability and calls itself technologically advanced. The problem apparently happened around 7.48 am when Google rerouted some of its traffic to Asia and a massive traffic jam ensued.
“Imagine if you were trying to fly from New York to San Francisco, but your plane was routed through an airport in Asia. And a bunch of other planes were sent that way too, so your flight was backed up and your journey took much longer than expected. That’s basically what happened to some of our users today for about an hour, starting at 7:48 am Pacific time.”
“An error in one of our systems caused us to direct some of our web traffic through Asia, which created a traffic jam. As a result, about 14% of our users experienced slow services or even interruptions. We’ve been working hard to make our services ultra fast and always on, so it’s especially embarrassing when a glitch like this one happens.
We’re very sorry that it happened, and you can be sure that we’ll be working even harder to make sure that a similar problem won’t happen again. All planes are back on schedule now.”
In spite of the reassuring statement, a number of users worldwide are beginning to question if it is really safe to depend on just one website for all important online activities. But as of now, Google is back to normal and the people dependent on it are back to “Googling”.
- Google's email service faces glitch - Feb 28, 2011
- Gmail outage affects tens of millions of users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Google apologizes over network outage - May 15, 2009
- Gmail outage affects users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- BlackBerry services disturbed for third consecutive day - Oct 12, 2011
- BlackBerry services restored, firm probing fault - Oct 11, 2011
- Skype Outage Caused Confusion Among Users Worldwide - Dec 23, 2010
- Google accidentally wipes accounts of 150,000 Gmail users - Mar 01, 2011
- Airtel users in Mumbai fail to connect due to network glitch - Dec 27, 2011
- Delhi blames neighbouring states for power crisis (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Would you let an airline play matchmaker for you? (The Funny Side) - Jun 15, 2012
- Facebook Outage Leaves The Company Red Faced - Sep 24, 2010
- Facebook Down - Don't Panic - Sep 24, 2010
- GPS dependent UK can be dismantled instantly by terrorists - Mar 08, 2011
- Wikipedia Site Was Down Owing To Server Malfunction - Mar 25, 2010
Tags: asia, dependability, email, embarrassment, fly, glitch, google, google outage, interruptions, journey, massive traffic jam, pacific time, planes, san francisco, search engine, spite, web traffic