Free wifi in BirkirkaraMay 26th, 2009 - 10:03 pm ICT by GD
The Old Station Garden in Birkirkara witnessed the launch of Wi-Fi Internet project on Tuesday. This project is aimed at providing free Internet services.
Wi-Fi is the trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance for products which are certified and based on IEEE802.11 specifications. These standards demand operability within multiple devices which are wireless. Wi-Fi connections in most cases are thought of as wireless LAN but all wireless LAN are not Wi-Fi certified. Wi-Fi supports personal computers, various game consoles, operating systems, laptops, printers, smart phones and a host of other computer peripherals.
The project launched recently engages the set up of free Wi-Fi at points which are convenient to general public. This project intends to increase the usage of Internet outside home and office. The Wi-Fi Internet points will be available for use throughout the day and will be filtered for any illegal or unlawful contents. The contents will also be filtered to enable safe usage by the minors.
Minister Austin Gatt inaugurated the project and in his inaugural speech he said that the Internet access is as basic as the usage of water and electricity.
Free Wi-Fi internet connection is also available in St. Aloysious College Sports Complex and in Independence Garden in Silema. In the second phase of the project Wi-Fi Internet points will also be provided at a number of public places like in schools, colleges and in public libraries.
The partners for this Wi-Fi Internet project are CISCO, who donated the wireless points and Arkadia Marketing Ltd., who along with St. Martin’s Institute of Information Technology had sponsored the project.
- Google, O-Zone tie up to provide free Wi-Fi access - Jan 12, 2012
- Chinese warned against using web in public places - Mar 01, 2012
- Wi-fi in homes can be hacked in five seconds - Oct 15, 2010
- Shanghai buses to have Wi-Fi - Jul 10, 2012
- Measuring Wi-Fi attacks can combat cyber crimes - Sep 13, 2011
- Apple's new iPad hits Japanese market - Mar 16, 2012
- Wi-Fi connectivity on Howrah Rajdhani from September - Mar 30, 2012
- Study reveals that using Wi-Fi on a laptop 'damages sperm' - Nov 30, 2011
- Airport Metro goes hi-tech with wi-fi connectivity - Jan 12, 2012
- Swindon to be Britain's first wi-fi town - Nov 18, 2009
- O-Zone to open 40,000 wireless internet zones - Dec 14, 2010
- Google cleared of spying in New Zealand - Sep 02, 2010
- Advent Eclipse Laptop Ideal For Budget Users - Nov 28, 2010
- Sony enters Indian tablet market - Dec 14, 2011
- Shanghai mulls free Wi-Fi service - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: college sports, computer peripherals, fi internet, free internet services, free wi fi, free wifi, game consoles, gatt, inaugural speech, internet points, internet project, launch, personal computers, public libraries, second phase, smart phones, sports complex, usage of internet, usage of water, wireless lan