Facebook Unveils New Feature Called PlacesAugust 19th, 2010 - 6:37 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Palo Alto, Aug 19, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The users of the popular social networking service Facebook have reasons to feel happy about. In a recent development the CEO of Facebook Marc Zuckerberg announced that the users will be able to use a new feature introduced in the online service named Facebook places. He also said that this feature is going to be much appreciated by the users. He also hinted that in the near future the Facebook users can expect a plethora of new features. The new feature is targeted at the smart phone users as he said.
Facebook places feature will let the users share their location with other users by means of the platform. The Facebook users will also be able to find which friends are close to them at any point of time which is a really neat feature. They will also be able to discover and learn about new places through their Facebook buddies easily. However, some of the users are of the opinion that this new service is quite identical to Foursquare. However, the service displays a security notice before the users can avail the feature on their smart phones. The service may not be supported by each and every smart phone in the market.
The new Places feature of Facebook will be made available to the existing users of the service by Thursday as the CEO said in the event. The users can tweak the privacy control to define who can see their location. By default only those defined as friends can see the location of a user but this setting can be changed as well.
- Facebook introduces location-based service - Aug 19, 2010
- Facebook goes "Places"! - Aug 24, 2010
- Facebook Email Service On The Anvil, Says CEO Marc Zuckerberg - Nov 16, 2010
- Zuckerberg's private Facebook photos goes viral - Dec 07, 2011
- Location-sharing startup joins Facebook - Dec 06, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg buys a new mansion - May 06, 2011
- Facebook 'Places' app that lets users tell pals where they are 'checks in' to UK - Sep 19, 2010
- Facebook plans to go public to raise $87bn - May 04, 2012
- Facebook Unveiling New Photo Tagging Option - Dec 17, 2010
- Facebook to buy Instagram for $1 bn - Apr 10, 2012
- Facebook CEO marries longtime girlfriend - May 20, 2012
- Facebook buys Instagram for $1 bn (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Facebook CEO upgrades relationship status - Married (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Obama pokes fun at Facebook founder - Apr 21, 2011
- Facebook Launches New Service For Retailers - Nov 06, 2010
Tags: buddies, ceo, existing users, facebook, neat feature, new feature, new features, palo alto, plethora, privacy control, security notice, smart phone users, smart phones, social networking service