Facebook Unveiling New Photo Tagging OptionDecember 17th, 2010 - 8:18 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Facebook the popular social networking site which is loved by millions of people worldwide is going to offer a number of new features as it has been announced. The service offers photo tagging and now with a new update tagging photos is going to become more streamlined affair. The new feature uses face recognition technology to tag photos. This will be particularly useful for people who have a lot of friends on Facebook. The new feature is named Tag Suggestions. The feature will be made available to the US users first and then will be rolled out for the users staying in other places of the world. Justin Mitchell a Facebook engineer explained the new feature saying that the new face recognition software is ” similar to that found in many photo editing tools to match your new photos to other photos you’re tagged in”.
However, the users who do not need the feature can opt out of it and they have to tweak the privacy settings for that purpose. Those who disable the feature will not see their names appearing in the suggestions by Facebook but their friends will still be able to tag their pictures manually. The users who have come to know about the new tagging feature have expressed mixed reactions to it so far.
The users who are still stuck with slower Internet connections will surrey like this feature. The Facebook team is apprehensive that the move may not be liked by all users equally. That is why they have decided to roll out the feature gradually to the users worldwide.
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- Facebook to look into face recognition software's security concerns - Jul 27, 2011
- Facebook to buy Instagram for $1 bn - Apr 10, 2012
- Now, check who has 'unfriended' you on Facebook - Sep 25, 2011
- Facebook 'Places' app that lets users tell pals where they are 'checks in' to UK - Sep 19, 2010
- Facebook acquires Instagram for $1 billion - Apr 10, 2012
- Facebook Unveils New Feature Called Places - Aug 19, 2010
- Facebook Launches New Service For Retailers - Nov 06, 2010
- Facebook keeps record of users' former lovers - Nov 02, 2010
- Facebook May Dethrone Orkut In India? - Aug 19, 2010
- Facebook adjusts feature to block pictures of users' old flames - Nov 02, 2010
- Facebook introduces location-based service - Aug 19, 2010
- Facebook could help people recognize strangers - Aug 05, 2011
- New Facebook features not so appealing, says poll - Oct 22, 2011
- Facebook in row over moderation process - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: editing tools, engineer, face recognition software, face recognition technology, facebook, internet connections, justin mitchell, mixed reactions, new face, new feature, new features, new photos, photo editing, privacy settings, ranjan, social networking site, surrey