Facebook smartphone to be ‘released next year’May 28th, 2012 - 10:07 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, May 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The world’s biggest social networking site, Facebook is planning to launch its own smartphone model by next year.
Various reports have suggested that the company has hired a smartphone engineering team to accomplish the project. The experts hired have worked on the iPhone and other smartphone models.
The site, which has recently made its stock market debut, has recently admitted that it was struggling to get revenue from its mobile Facebook feature. According to reports, the company’s plan to create their own smartphone model could be due to the increase in pressure to the firm to develop and expand its mobile division.
After Facebook’s launch of App Center, its own mobile apps store, which currently offers apps links within Apple’s iOS and Google Android stores.
Facebook representatives have refused to comment on the rumours. In a written statement, the company claims that they are working with hardware and OS suppliers, application developers and operators to provide a better service to users by increasing the features of the site.
Two years ago, Techcrunch reported that Facebook was planning to enter the smartphone market by producing their own smartphone, a plan that was later aborted by the networking giant.
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Year of tech, tweets, tablets and telecom (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Google buys Instagram rival Snapseed - Sep 18, 2012
- Apple removes spam message app from App Store - Jul 06, 2012
- Chinese downloads 25 billionth app - Mar 06, 2012
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Reliance Communications to market Android devices in India - Apr 16, 2012
- BlackBerry buys software company to beef up apps store - Apr 29, 2011
- Dell dives into US smartphone market - Aug 25, 2010
- Video accounts for half of mobile data traffic - Feb 24, 2012
- Facebook Launches New Service For Retailers - Nov 06, 2010
Tags: android, apple, application developers, engineering team, facebook, google, ios, iphone, launch, mobile apps, mobile division, models, networking giant, rumours, smartphone, social networking site, stock market debut