Facebook May Dethrone Orkut In India?August 19th, 2010 - 6:35 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Aug 19, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The online social networking sites have affected the web users all over the world and People from all age groups have got addicted to these services. However, that does not mean that all services are equally popular in every country. While Facebook founded by Marc Zuckerberg leads the race in the global market, in countries like India and Brazil, Orkut, which is Google’s flagship social networking application is the numero uno player. While Facebook has 500 million users globally, Orkut has barely a fifth of that number. However, if the industry buzz is to be believed, Orkut may face stiff competition in its stronghold markets, namely India from Facebook in near future.
However, Google is not going to let Facebook win over its bastion so easily. Google is planning to launch mobile specific applications since the Indian users are gradually getting addicted to web browsing through their handsets. It may also make some tweaks to the existing interface of Orkut and make it more user-friendly. The majority of Orkut users are those who use desktops for web access. Hence Google will introduce web applications accessible from phones shortly.
While it enjoys a dominant position in India Orkut lags behind Facebook in USA and other countries. In India Facebook is becoming popular very fast and its growth rate far surpasses that of other networks. Besides, Facebook is introducing new features more quickly than its competitors and Google has many other areas to give time to. Orkut is used mainly by youngsters while Facebook enjoys popularity even among aged lot. However, Whether it can surpass Orkut In India remains to be seen.
- Facebook: India is second fastest growing market - Feb 05, 2012
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- Google unveils social network to challenge Facebook - Jun 29, 2011
- Facebook Used By 100 Million Apple Users! - Aug 24, 2010
- Facebook plans to go public to raise $87bn - May 04, 2012
- Facebook Passes Google as Most-Viewed Site in US - Sep 12, 2010
- Ad space on MySpace bought by 'Social Network' - Sep 23, 2010
- Orkut Gets Flooded With Bom Sabado Scrap - Sep 25, 2010
- Rockmelt: A Social Browser Emerges In The Web - Nov 09, 2010
- Facebook buys Instagram for $1 bn (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- India spurs Facebook growth; 83 mn fake users worldwide - Aug 03, 2012
- Google has one billion users - Jun 22, 2011
- Reliance communication launches new 3G tablet for Rs.14,499 - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: age groups, bastion, dominant position, facebook, global market, google, handsets, indian users, industry buzz, networking application, new features, online social networking, orkut, ranjan, social networking sites, stiff competition, web access, web applications, web users, youngsters