Facebook Launches New Service For RetailersNovember 6th, 2010 - 7:03 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Nov 6, (THAINDIAN NEWS) After launching the service named Places, popular social networking site Facebook is now possibly concentrating on the concept of social commerce. The giant has launched a new mobile check in service for leading retailers and it covers several hundreds of mid and small sized businesses in the USA. The service Facebook Deals is meant for linking users of Facebook Places to offers and deals from brands like Gap, 24 hours Fitness etc. It is accessible only through the iPhone app of Facebook. The Android smart phone users can avail Places but Deals is not meant for them as yet. The Facebook team said that the popularity of the Places has inspired the merchants.
However, the exact number of Facebook users who use the Places service is not known. The Facebook users who use the Places service on their mobile Facebook app will now get notification of deals and offers at stores nearby. Initially, 23 big retailers and 20000 smaller merchants have tied up for the service. The service will also be helpful for the users as they will not have to use PCs or hit the stores in persons to get notified and updated about new offers. This may eventually change the way commerce is done in near future, feels the Facebook team.
However, Facebook is rolling out the service with an eye on its revenue for sure. It is estimated that the company will earn $1.28 billion from global advertising revenue in 2010 alone. However, before launching such new features Facebook needs to bolster its security, feel some veterans. The hackers have targeted it many times in recent past.
- Facebook smartphone to be 'released next year' - May 28, 2012
- Facebook buys Instagram for $1 bn (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Beware: Ads in mobile apps fraught with security risk - Mar 20, 2012
- Mojostreet launches real world mobile game for smartphones - Dec 07, 2011
- Internet firms spy on personal texts sent on smartphones - Feb 26, 2012
- Year of tech, tweets, tablets and telecom (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Apple removes spam message app from App Store - Jul 06, 2012
- Now, Facebook launches its own phone - Feb 11, 2011
- BlackBerry buys software company to beef up apps store - Apr 29, 2011
- Facebook set to launch mobile phone - Feb 11, 2011
- Metro PCS Unveils BlackBerry Curve 8530 - Jul 27, 2010
- Smartphone users reject apps over privacy issues - Sep 06, 2012
- Low-cost smartphones whet Indian appetite for mobile apps - Mar 04, 2012
- Reliance communication launches new 3G tablet for Rs.14,499 - Jul 19, 2012
- Facebook to launch own app store - May 10, 2012
Tags: advertising revenue, exact number, facebook, fitness, gap, giant, global advertising, hackers, iphone, merchants, mobile check, new features, popularity, sized businesses, smart phone users, social networking site