Facebook is partnering with HTC for a SmartphoneNovember 22nd, 2011 - 11:51 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Nov 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Social network giant Facebook reportedly plans to come out with its smartphone next year. The company has subsequently contracted HTC to manufacture the handset which is expected to be named Buffy.
Facebook reportedly settled on HTC after the phone maker beat a stiff competition from rivals Samsung. The smartphone will run on Google’s Android OS and is expected to be released early next year.
A spokesperson of Facebook said that, “Our mobile strategy is simple: We think every mobile device is better if it is deeply social. We’re working across the entire mobile industry; with operators, hardware manufacturers, OS providers, and application developers to bring powerful social experiences to more people around the world.”
Facebook will not find the smartphone competition easy. The market has been dominated by Apple for several years. Other tech companies like Google and Nokia have all tried unsuccessfully to bring down the influence of Apple.
With the announcement that Facebook plans to have heavily modified Android operating system, Facebook seem poised for the challenge ahead. Facebook hinted that they chose Android because of the open nature of the software.
The device will be the first smartphone from the social networking site which has about 800 million users.
- Facebook smartphone to be 'released next year' - May 28, 2012
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- Ice cream sandwich powered Galaxy Nexus makes its debut - Oct 19, 2011
- Apple mulls settling patent fights with Samsung - Mar 30, 2012
- Indian mobile handsets market grows 10 percent in 2011 - Mar 01, 2012
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Microsoft reaches patent deal with LG - Jan 13, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Video accounts for half of mobile data traffic - Feb 24, 2012
- Apple sues Samsung over Galaxy phones, tablets - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
- Samsung did not copy 'cool' Apple iPad: Court - Jul 10, 2012
- Windows Phone 7.5 launched in India - Oct 12, 2011
- Microsoft launches Windows Phone 7 range - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: android, application developers, facebook, giant, google, handset, hardware manufacturers, htc, mobile device, mobile industry, mobile strategy, open nature, operating system, rivals, samsung, smartphone, social experiences, social networking site, spokesperson, stiff competition