Facebook goes offline due to unknown technical faultSeptember 24th, 2010 - 3:18 am ICT by BNO News
SAN FRANCISCO (BNO NEWS) — The social networking website Facebook went down on early Thursday afternoon due to an unexplained technical fault.
The popular website went down completely at approximately 2.45 p.m. EDT. Nearly an hour later, some users were able to access the website again. For others, the problem continued.
“Sorry, an error has occurred,” a message on the website said. “We’re working on getting this fixed as soon as we can.” Other users, however, received other error messages: “The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.”
Facebook’s “like” button, which is a widget used by websites around the world for their readers to promote articles and web pages, also vanished from websites. This caused other websites to slow down as well.
A spokeswoman for Facebook confirmed the problem, but provided no details on what caused it. “We’re currently experiencing some site issues causing Facebook to be slow or unavailable for some users,” Meredith Chin said. “We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.”
Facebook is the world’s largest social network with over 500 million users.
- Facebook down, users experiencing problems for the second day in a row - Sep 24, 2010
- Facebook Down - Don't Panic - Sep 24, 2010
- Users Face Worst Outage In 4 Years; Facebook Apologizes - Sep 24, 2010
- Gmail outage affects users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Gmail outage affects tens of millions of users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Facebook bans woman for photos of son with Down's syndrome - Apr 27, 2012
- Facebook goes offline due to technical fault - Sep 24, 2010
- Facebook bans village name for being offensive - Dec 04, 2011
- Twitter offline for some, others experience problems - Mar 14, 2010
- Now, you can't have more than 5,000 friends on Facebook - Jul 21, 2010
- Twitter unstable today - Oct 13, 2009
- Facebook introduces more changes on its website - Sep 21, 2011
- EU to impose law to save privacy of social network users - Mar 17, 2011
- Furor over Facebook's dislike button - Oct 03, 2011
- 20pc of Facebook users exposed to malware - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,