Facebook bans 20,000 underage users everydayMarch 24th, 2011 - 12:44 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Mar 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Daily Telegraph has reported that Facebook takes down the accounts of about 20,000 people every day because they lied about their age. Minors are not allowed to be on Facebook but it is estimated that millions have already done so.
Facebook acknowledges that it is almost impossible to determine the right age of a user during sign-up. A study by Pew recently revealed that almost 50 percent of all 12-year-olds in the United States use the social network. Minors using social networking sites are seen as a major problem confronting the United States. Pedophiles and other criminals could easily take advantage of these minors and exploit them.
Senator Al Franken recently joined in the campaign to get Facebook to fight against minors signing up to Facebook. In a letter addressed to Mark Zuckerberg, Franken said that, “These younger users(minors) are the most vulnerable to predators on Facebook and the rest of the Internet and it should be impossible for them to inadvertently share their phone numbers and home addresses with anyone.”
Facebook has about 600 million users and it is the most successful social networking site in the world.
- Study reveals that 1 in 3 Facebook users are getting bored with the site - Jun 08, 2012
- Facebook blames bug for Zuckerberg's account 'hacking' - Jan 27, 2011
- Google now restricts Facebook access to Gmail contacts - Nov 06, 2010
- Mark Zuckerberg buys a new mansion - May 06, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook page hacked - Jan 26, 2011
- Facebook to announce new tie-ups: Report - Sep 21, 2011
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
- Facebook unveils new messaging system - Nov 16, 2010
- Facebook CEO Admits Mistakes - May 25, 2010
- Facebook playing down role as 'key tool for democratic change' in Middle East - Feb 15, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg sued by Facebook investors - Jun 05, 2012
- Half of UK population using Facebook - Mar 04, 2011
- Obama pokes fun at Facebook founder - Apr 21, 2011
- 2.5 mn Muslims threaten to leave Facebook - Jul 17, 2010
- Facebook's rival - Diaspora offers a sneak peak into its code - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: 12 year olds, al franken, criminals, daily telegraph, facebook, home addresses, london, pedophiles, phone numbers, predators, social networking site, social networking sites, underage users, united states