Facebook Attacked By New Worm, Again!October 2nd, 2010 - 6:55 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Oct 2, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Facebook the social networking site that has overtaken its rivals in terms of popularity and user base is back in news. The social networking service has often been targeted by the hackers and they have succeeded in infecting thousands of computers by fooling the unsuspecting users. In a latest development Facebook is being attacked by a new worm that has already infected a huge number of users. The new worm is clever as it forces the users to like a particular page and then it automatically spreads its copes among the friends of the affected user.
Earlier too the Like feature of Facebook has been targeted by the malicious hackers and Facebook has drawn the flak of the users several times for the vulnerability. A page with the title “Shocking! This girl killed herself after her dad posted this photo” has appeared on the wall posts of many Facebook users. The line is tempting and so many users clicked the link without any suspicion. It helped in spreading the worm fast. It is not the first time such trick is being used to lure the users but it seems that web users are still to wake up to the possibilities of potential online threat.
Facebook on its part has not issued any update on this new worm but security forms and blog sites are trying to make the web users aware about “Shocking! This girl killed herself after her dad posted this photo” worm. The hackers are now targeting the social networking sites instead of the email service providers since email services now come with enhanced spam protection features.
- Rogue Facebook App Affects 300,000 Users - Jul 07, 2010
- New Facebook Worm Affects Millions Of Users - Jun 05, 2010
- Cyber criminals increasingly targeting social networks - Jan 19, 2011
- Facebook Outage Lasted For 30 Minutes When Company Tested New Features - Dec 17, 2010
- Beware Of Facebook Worm, Thousands Infected - Jun 05, 2010
- India tops in originating spam, phishing in Asia: Report - May 11, 2010
- Facebook Clickjacking Worm May Hurt Your Wallet, Warns Sophos - Aug 19, 2010
- Twitter accounts hacked, flooded with spam - Dec 14, 2010
- Facebook launches new messaging system - Nov 16, 2010
- Cyber criminals to target social networks, mobile devices: Security Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Facebook users now bear the brunt of the 'clickjacking worm' - Jun 01, 2010
- Mark Zuckerberg's Own Facebook Fan Site Got Hacked - Jan 27, 2011
- Be Wary Of Rogue App In Facebook! - Jul 07, 2010
- Dating site uses pictures, names of 250,000 unsuspecting Facebook users - Feb 05, 2011
- Facebook's E-Mail Service is Expected on Monday - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: dad, email service providers, email services, facebook, flak, malicious hackers, new worm, photo worm, possibilities, protection features, rivals, several times, social networking service, social networking site, social networking sites, spam protection, suspicion, unsuspecting users, vulnerability, web users