Conficker worm: How to tell if your PC is infected & Using Removal ToolsApril 1st, 2009 - 10:46 pm ICT by GD
How do you figure if your computer has a Conficker Worm and if there are free tools to remove it?
Conficker uses a security lapse in Microsoft Windows operating system but it was fixed last October. If you do not get automatic updates from Microsoft you could still be at risk of running the worm.
Conficker does not diasble your anti virus software. However it infects your computer so that it is not able to access the anti-virus vendors and Microsoft pages for automatic updates and also makes you unable to download Conficker removal tools.
The easiest way to tell if your PC has a Conficker worm is to check which websites you can visit. You would know you have the worm or a similar bug if you can visit most websites without a glitch but cannot access Microsoft Windows websites or vendors such as Symantec Corp or F-Secure Corp. If you indeed have the worm fixing your computer can get a tad tricky because the worm will not let you download removal tools to get rid of it.
The best thing to do here is to have a friend whose computer is free from the worm to download a removal tool for Conficker worm from Microsoft or any other anti-virus vendor and then email that tool to you. A number of free Conficker worm removal tools are available at www.confickerworkinggroup.org.
Conficker may block removal tools that are named Conficker so you may have to rename the file before you run it. A lot of anti virus vendors have already changed their file names to remove the word Conficker or they have purposely tweaked the spelling so that the virus does not identify it and lets it run on your system.
- Anti-virus update can freeze your computer - Dec 12, 2010
- Conficker worm a continuing threat: Microsoft - Apr 26, 2012
- Experts brace for possible computer worm attack - Mar 31, 2009
- Software combo that turns computers impregnable - Mar 22, 2012
- Buy original software, Microsoft tells people in Lucknow - Apr 06, 2011
- Tech experts fail to conquer Conficker worm - Sep 22, 2009
- World's biggest source of spam e-mails shut down - Mar 20, 2011
- Apple asks Russian anti-virus firm to improve OS X security - May 15, 2012
- Avast False Positive Warning Creates Worry Among Users - Dec 04, 2009
- Worst virus in years infects 6.5 mn computers - Jan 17, 2009
- Computer virus promising free sex films causing havoc - Sep 12, 2010
- Patrick Swayze's Death Exploited By Spammers - Sep 16, 2009
- Researchers discover way to find Confiker computer worm - Mar 31, 2009
- Mac users warned of porn malware attacks - Jun 13, 2009
- BLADE software eliminates threats of 'drive-by downloads' from Internet - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: access microsoft, anti virus software, automatic updates, file names, free tools, glitch, microsoft, microsoft windows operating system, removal tool, risk, security lapse, spelling, symantec, symantec corp, virus vendors, windows operating system, worm removal tools