Christmas Scam Warning Issued By Top IT Security FirmsNovember 19th, 2010 - 7:33 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Nov 19, (THAINDIAN NEWS) With the festive season approaching a lot of people are gearing up for shopping and buying gifts for themselves and their near and dear ones. After the advent and mass penetration of web the trend of online shopping has set in. The various on line sites and retail outlets also offer lucrative deals for buying their products around Christmas and other festive seasons. However, the malicious hackers also target the unsuspecting users during these times and top security firms including anti virus expert McAfee have warned that as many as 12 on line scams may be used by the hackers in and around Christmas.
The popularity of the Apple iPad has given the hackers the chance to dupe people into their traps using the popular Internet tablet as the bait. They may try to lure the shoppers to give out their credit card numbers. Some other hackers may try the emotional booby trap. They may pretend to be a friend or family member in distress and send request for urgent monetary needs. This type of scam is not new but its frequency goes up in the travel season.
A lot of outlets offer gift cards to the customers when they purchase anything before or during Christmas. This is also used by the hackers as an opportunity to rob the innocent shoppers who can not distinguish between a genuine Christmas offer and a fake one. The security firms have also issued warning on using the free WiFi service at hotels and airports as these places are targeted by hackers for getting access to others computers easily.
- Shoppers Are Avoiding Credit Cards, Survey Reveals - Dec 16, 2010
- Hackers could make your car unsafe, McAfee warns - Sep 09, 2011
- Facebook Email Scam, McAfee Issues Warning - Mar 19, 2010
- Black Friday Brings Online Bonanza In 2010 - Nov 20, 2010
- Facebook Users Cautioned About Email Scam - Mar 19, 2010
- Walmart Offers Some Black Friday Goodies On Thanksgiving Itself - Nov 25, 2010
- Top four cyber threats for 2011 revealed - Jan 08, 2011
- Chinese hackers who built illegal games arrested - May 18, 2011
- Chinese warned against using web in public places - Mar 01, 2012
- Post Office In USA To Test Gift Cards - Jan 06, 2011
- Chinese hackers steal "confidential information" of five global oil companies: McAfee - Feb 11, 2011
- Intel to buy McAfee in $7.7-bn deal - Aug 19, 2010
- Wi-fi in homes can be hacked in five seconds - Oct 15, 2010
- Target Black Friday Offers Leave Buyers Salivating! - Nov 26, 2010
- Malware Threat Reaching All Time High, Warns Top System Security Firms - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: advent, anti virus, apple ipad, booby trap, buying gifts, credit card numbers, family member, festive season, festive seasons, gift cards, lucrative deals, malicious hackers, retail outlets, scams, security firms, top security, traps, travel season, unsuspecting users, virus expert