China stakes claim to have the world’s fastest supercomputerOctober 29th, 2010 - 10:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Beijing, Oct 29 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Tianhe-1 has been named in China as the fastest computer in the country. The machine is capable of making an estimated 4,700 trillion calculations or more appropriately 4.7 petaflops per second. Yes, you got it right, every second. Each petaflop is approximately 1,000 trillion calculations. However the machine has been running at little over half that capacity at a sustained speed of 2.507 petaflops.
The machine zoomed into the first position after overtaken another supercomputer Nebulae, which is regarded as the second most fastest computer in the world after the Jaguar system in the United States. The machine, which is located at the National Center for Supercomputing in northern port city of Tianjin, was however seventh when the biannual list of the Top 500 supercomputers list was released in June this year.
The United States is home to some half of the world’s Top 500 supercomputers in the world. However the speed of the Jaguar system is 1.75 petaflops per second meaning the Tianhe-1 is now faster than the Jaguar. The Tianhe-1 however has to wait and keep that speed to be recognized in the next Top 500 list next November to attain that enviable title.
- China ramping efforts to become supercomputer superpower - Jun 01, 2010
- Chinese supercomputer ranked world's fastest - Nov 15, 2010
- Japanese supercomputer is the most powerful - Jun 20, 2011
- China Creates World's Fastest Supercomputer - Oct 29, 2010
- Japanese scientists claim to have built the world's fastest supercomputer - Jun 20, 2011
- Over 300 use China's fastest supercomputer - Mar 20, 2012
- China's new computer does 1,000 trillion jobs per second - Sep 02, 2010
- World's 5 fastest computers - Dec 01, 2009
- China unveils its fastest supercomputer - Oct 30, 2009
- China makes world's fastest supercomputer - Oct 28, 2010
- Chinese supercomputers to use homemade microchips - Mar 08, 2011
- China develops fastest super computer - May 31, 2010
- Chinese supercomputer begins operations - Jan 20, 2012
- An upgrade makes "Jaguar" the world's fastest supercomputer - Nov 21, 2009
- IBM's Sequoia is now the world's fastest supercomputer - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: beijing, china, fastest computer, fastest supercomputer, first position, half of the world, jaguar, jaguar system, nebulae, northern port city, petaflop, petaflops, supercomputing, tianjin, top 500 supercomputers, trillion, united states