China Creates World’s Fastest SupercomputerOctober 29th, 2010 - 9:49 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Oct 29 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Chinese have stepped up to replace the United States as the maker of the world’s fastest supercomputer. At conference which was held at a research center in China, the Tianhe-1A super fast computer has been unveiled. Tianhe, which means “Milky Way” was designed by the National University of Defense Technology(NUDT).
Two hundred different scientist worked for two years in order to create the mega machine, which is fully operational, and housed at the National Supercomputer Center in Tianjin. It took over eighty-eight million dollars to build it, and it set a new performance record of 2, 507 petaflops, which is a quatrillion calculations per second. Most of these computers run at 563.1 teraflops, or a trillion calculations per second.
The president of the NUDT, Zhang Yulin, stated that the system which weighs one hundred and fifty-five tons, has 103 cabinets similar to refrigerators which set in a one thousand square meter area. It is expected to be used for oil exploration as well as conducting bio-medical computations and helping with the design of space vehicles.
- China unveils its fastest supercomputer - Oct 30, 2009
- China stakes claim to have the world's fastest supercomputer - Oct 29, 2010
- World's 5 fastest computers - Dec 01, 2009
- Chinese supercomputer ranked world's fastest - Nov 15, 2010
- Over 300 use China's fastest supercomputer - Mar 20, 2012
- Japanese supercomputer is the most powerful - Jun 20, 2011
- China's new computer does 1,000 trillion jobs per second - Sep 02, 2010
- Japanese scientists claim to have built the world's fastest supercomputer - Jun 20, 2011
- ISRO builds India's fastest supercomputer - May 02, 2011
- Chinese supercomputers to use homemade microchips - Mar 08, 2011
- China ramping efforts to become supercomputer superpower - Jun 01, 2010
- Teraflops for non-flop rain forecast (With 'No need to fear drought or flood this year: Earth Sciences Minister') - Jul 31, 2011
- China makes world's fastest supercomputer - Oct 28, 2010
- World's most energy-efficient supercomputer recognized - Nov 21, 2009
- China develops fastest super computer - May 31, 2010
Tags: 1a, cabinets, computations, defense technology, eighty eight, fastest supercomputer, milky way, million dollars, national supercomputer, oil exploration, performance record, petaflops, refrigerators, scientist, space vehicles, square meter area, supercomputer center, teraflops, tianjin, trillion