Charges Placed Against Facebook’s Virtual Burglar In ItalyOctober 27th, 2010 - 7:54 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Oct 27, (THAINDIAN NEWS) An unidentified thief may be jailed in Italy for breaking and robbing a house, the one which exists not in the domain of physical reality but inside a Facebook game in the virtual world. The bizarre incident has left many speechless as very few people have come across such news before. Paola Letizia, the owner of the robbed house said that the loss is real to her, irrespective of the flat being in existence in Facebook only. The incident of her account being hacked has been taken very seriously and the offender could be charged with “aggravated entry” and sentenced to five years in prison.
The hacker had cracked her password and stripped the virtual house inside the game “Pet Society”. Paola Letizia had decorated the home for her virtual cat, which to her relief has been left behind, and the list of stolen items indicate a loss of $140. The case has been handed to the National Post Office for investigation. Many though are finding the whole incident a big joke and one site writes that perhaps if a person has a fancy virtual house then they should get a virtual home alarm.
The virtual home of the blue colored cat has been stripped off its furniture, clothes and paintings. The thief has only left the resident cat in the house but then thief’s are not known to steal or kidnap home owners along with the furniture. The issue though emphasizes the need for stronger passwords by web users to protect themselves from hackers.
- Facebook Games Burglar in Italy Under Police Scanner - Oct 27, 2010
- Real Prison Time in Italy for Facebook Virtual Games Burglar? - Oct 28, 2010
- Facebook stops 600,000 hacking attempts daily - Oct 29, 2011
- 'Kitty cam' shows cats are killers - Aug 09, 2012
- The New IKEA Commercial Featuring 100 Cats Grabs Eyeballs - Sep 18, 2010
- Firewalls can help hackers break into Facebook, Twitter - May 22, 2012
- Sarah Palin e-mail hacker gets one year in jail - Nov 13, 2010
- Stray cat gives birth in a tumble dryer - Jun 20, 2012
- Attack on Gawker enables spammers to take over Twitter accounts - Dec 14, 2010
- Cat Survives Ride In Car Engine - Dec 13, 2010
- Briton suspected of cruelty to cat surrenders - Nov 12, 2011
- Tips on how to carry out burglaries, by Japanese thief - Nov 27, 2010
- Upper-casing password can foolproof your e-mail account - Feb 11, 2011
- US man faces 5-yrs jail for reading wife's emails without permission - Dec 28, 2010
- Cat involved in South Carolina camper crash finally found - May 05, 2011
Tags: bizarre incident, burglar, colored cat, existence, facebook, gina gomez, hacker, hackers, joke, left behind, paintings, paola, passwords, physical reality, post office, resident cat, thief, virtual cat, virtual world, web users