Bug causes Twitter outage on ThursdayJune 22nd, 2012 - 9:01 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, June 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The popular social networking and micro blogging site Twitter was hit by a bug on Thursday and a major outage happened.
The Twitter users felt the aftereffects as they couldn’t tweet and were left bereft of their favorite website for quite sometime on Thursday. The down-time was pretty significant and thus, there was a big hue and cry over the issue. Many Twitter users then logged onto another social networking website Facebook and there they vented out their frustration at not being able to tweet.
The company officials at Twitter contributed the outage to a cascading bug, present in their infrastructure components.
“One of the characteristics of such a bug is that it can have a significant impact on all users, worldwide, which was the case today. This wasn’t due to a hack or our new office or Euro 2012 or GIF avatars, as some have speculated today. We are currently conducting a comprehensive review to ensure that we can avoid this chain of events in the future,” according to Mazen Rawashdeh,who is the vice president of engineering at Twitter.
There was widespread speculation that hackers had attacked the website and they were responsible for the outage.
- Twitter accounts hacked, flooded with spam - Dec 14, 2010
- Iranian Cyber Army 'hacks' Twitter - Dec 19, 2009
- Hackers hijack Twitter page of NBC News, post fake terror alerts - Sep 10, 2011
- Twitter suffers from a security flaw, recovers from a security attack - Sep 21, 2010
- Youtube down - Http/1.1 Service Unavailable - Mar 25, 2010
- Twitter now has 100 mn users worldwide - Sep 09, 2011
- Rihanna blasts reports she provoked Chris Brown assault - Jun 25, 2011
- Twitter buys British app network TweetDeck - May 26, 2011
- British MPs tweet, and how! - Aug 01, 2011
- Twitter confirms it acquired TweetDeck, terms not disclosed - May 26, 2011
- Twitter users post more than 12,000 tweets per second during Super Bowl - Feb 06, 2012
- Facebook blames bug for Zuckerberg's account 'hacking' - Jan 27, 2011
- U.S. Capitol Police investigates fake news reports from The Onion - Sep 30, 2011
- Twitter resets 'Following' and 'Followers' count for all users - May 11, 2010
- Mobile phones hackers' main target - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: aftereffects, avatars, company officials, down time, euro 2012, facebook, frustration, hack, hackers, hue and cry, infrastructure components, networking website, significant impact, social networking, speculation, tweet, twitter, vice president