Bill Gates to testify in Utah in the Novell Inc. suitNovember 21st, 2011 - 7:38 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Nov 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Bill Gates, the Chairman of Microsoft Corporation, will take the stand and testify in a suit filed by Novell Inc. The suit against the world’s largest software maker was filed by Novell in 2004.
Novell accuses Microsoft of using its influence as the biggest provider of computer systems in the 1990s to undermine Novell’s WordPerfect software. The suit claims that Microsoft used its monopoly about 17 years ago to undermine the software.
The case was initially thrown out by a lower court but the US Court of Appeal has ruled that the case should be heard again. The landmark ruling was given in May and the case was sent back to the lower court to hear it again.
U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz in Baltimore will be presiding over the case. Gates is expected to testify on Monday. In the 1990s and early 2000s, Gates was the CEO of Microsoft and is credited with much of the success of the company.
Microsoft was found guilty of EU antitrust and the company was fined for misusing its monopoly. The company was forced to settle its US antitrust investigation about eight years ago and that prompted Novell to file the suit.
- Will rivals do to Google what Facebook did to MySpace? - Jul 19, 2011
- US supreme court to hear Microsoft appeal on Word patent - Dec 01, 2010
- US Supreme Court hears Microsoft appeal on Word patent - Apr 18, 2011
- U.S. orders Google to fulfill requirements before acquisition of ITA Software - Apr 09, 2011
- Is Microsoft buying Nokia? (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jun 07, 2012
- Microsoft finally loses Word patent battle - Jun 10, 2011
- Antitrust suit against Netflix thrown out - Nov 25, 2011
- Court rejects plea against Microsoft, fines petitioner (Third Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Court acts on Microsoft plea on software piracy - Jun 16, 2012
- Is Microsoft buying Nokia? - Jun 07, 2012
- Microsoft loses appeal on Word patent verdict - Apr 02, 2010
- Attachmate Corp. To Take Over Novell For 2.2 Billion - Nov 23, 2010
- Microsoft ordered to stop selling Word software by Jan 11 - Dec 23, 2009
- Microsoft takes Word patent battle to US apex court - Aug 31, 2010
- Microsoft loses as Toronto firm wins claim over Word patent - May 12, 2010
Tags: 17 years, 1990s, antitrust investigation, bill gates, ceo of microsoft, chairman of microsoft, company microsoft, computer systems, court of appeal, district judge, frederick motz, landmark, largest software, microsoft corporation, monopoly, novell, novell inc, software maker, suit claims, wordperfect software