Be Wary Of Rogue App In Facebook!July 7th, 2010 - 9:16 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
July 7, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): The users of the social networking site Facebook, must know about this rogue Facebook app, which has attracted almost 300000 users till now. Users are not sure whether it is harmless advertising, a spam or a malware. Some are afraid that this can be a trick to use the platform for spam or malware.
The doubtful application appears as ‘I will never text again’, which attracts the targets by the way of a video. If you get lured by the video and click on it, then it asks for an access to some of your profile information. Then, it gets posted on the user’s wall.
Till now, the rouge Facebook application has done no harm to the users’ profile but asking for profile information does not sound good to many users.
Graham Cluley from Sophos, who has investigated it, said that a page setup under the name ‘Anne Klein’ is found to be bogus.
Users of Facebook, who were caught by this trick, found their wall automatically spammed with ‘I am shocked! I am never texting again since I found this out.
The victims should clean-up their walls to protect their friends and family, as they may also fall a prey to this trick. The users can remove it by just clicking the “Remove” button, which appears on selecting the rogue posts.
This is not the first case of rouge app in Facebook, similar cases occured earlier too. So, it is high time now for Facebook and its users to take serious actions.
- Expert warns users 'to remove address, mobile number from Facebook' - Jan 17, 2011
- Rogue Facebook app goes viral - Jul 07, 2010
- Warning for Facebook users: 'Sexiest video' message contains malware - May 19, 2010
- 'See who viewed your profile' is latest Facebook scam - Nov 30, 2010
- Beware of Facebook's 'dislike button' scam - Aug 17, 2010
- Apple removes spam message app from App Store - Jul 06, 2012
- Beware Of Facebook Worm, Thousands Infected - Jun 05, 2010
- Cyber criminals increasingly targeting social networks - Jan 19, 2011
- 'Sexiest video ever' spreads virus on Facebook - May 18, 2010
- Fake 'dislike' button spreads across Facebook - Aug 17, 2010
- 'Clickjacking' epidemic spreads across Facebook - Jun 04, 2010
- Facebook malware attack spreading quickly - May 31, 2010
- 'Hacker' application on Facebook stealing users' personal info - Aug 18, 2010
- Facebook scam says Lady Gaga's dead! - Aug 07, 2011
- 20pc of Facebook users exposed to malware - Nov 25, 2010