Apple working on less expensive iPhonesFebruary 14th, 2011 - 7:46 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Feb 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Wall Street Journal has reported that Apple Inc is working on a smaller iPhone 4 that would sell about half the price of iPhone 4.
Apple’s iPhone is currently facing stiff competition from other smartphone makers. Price is playing a huge role in the competition. Currently Android based phones are selling more than the iPhone and that is what Apple is working to overcome more especially as Microsoft and Samsung have announced that they would be collaborating in the smartphone market.
Apple currently sells the iPhone 4 to carriers for $625 a piece. The carriers then subsidize the cost and sell it under contract to users. According to the report, Apple intends to sell the new smaller iPhone alongside the current iPhone 4.
It is vital that Apple stay strongly in the smartphone market. During the last quarter, Apple generated almost 40 percent of its revenue from the sale of the iPhone. Apple’s revenue last quarter was $26.7 billion.
The report indicated that Steve Jobs is behind the new move and he is closely following the development of the new product. Jobs is currently on a medical leave from his post as the CEO of Apple.
- Apple working on smaller, cheaper iPhone - Feb 14, 2011
- Apple to launch smaller iPhone - Feb 11, 2011
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Cheaper smaller 'iPhone Nano' in the pipeline - Feb 11, 2011
- Apple lawyer claims that Samsung copied iPhone technology - Aug 01, 2012
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Survey reveals that Android and Apple control 71 percent of the smartphone market - Nov 30, 2011
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- Apple beats Google in US smartphone market - Jan 26, 2012
- Samsung unveils Galaxy to challenge Apple's iPad - Sep 03, 2010
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
- Android phones more popular than iPhones - Oct 13, 2010
- Apple gizmos facing from S. Korean challengers - Apr 20, 2011
- iPhone 5 pre-orders top record 2 million in first 24 hours - Sep 18, 2012
- Year of tech, tweets, tablets and telecom (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011