Apple unveils $99 iPhone at WDDC 2009June 9th, 2009 - 4:05 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Apple has unveiled its intention of dominating the smartphone market by slashing the cost of the iPhone 3G to just $SU99 at this years Worldwide developers Conference in San Francisco.
The Apple iPhone 3G sports none of the bells and whistles of the iPhone 3GS, also announced at the conference, and with only 8 Gbytes in memory is firmly positioned at the entry level of the smartphone market.
Undercutting the current entry level iPhone by$US100, the iPhone 3G will feature a 2 Gbyte still image only camera with fixed focusing, up to 10 hours of talk time and 24 hours of audio playback, as well as up to six hours of WiFi internet browsing.
Coinciding with the announcement, Apple also unveiled a much higher specification iPhone, the iPhone 3G S with a suped-up three megapixel camera, video filming and editing capabilities and automatic focusing.
The new iPhone 3GS will be available in either a 16 Gbyte configuration for $US199 and a 32 Gbyte model for $US299.
For an extra $US100 the iPhone 3G S also provides voice control for accessing names in your address book, or for recalling the names of tunes in your iPod, with built in support for 31 languages or regional variations of languages.
Both the entry level and higher spec’d iPhones have access to the Apple iPhone App Store with more than 50,000 applications available for download.
Both of the new iPhones feature user selectable portrait or landscape oriented keyboards, Spotlight search capability, SMS and MMS messaging functions and voice memo recording capabilities.
The iPhone 3G and 3GS will be available on June 19 in the US and July 7 throughout the rest of the world and both have access to the Apple iPhone App Store with more than 50,000 applications currently available.
- Apple unveils iPhone 3GS and low cost iPhone 3G at WWDC 2009 - Jun 09, 2009
- iPhone app translates three languages into English - Jul 10, 2012
- Apple presents iPhone 4, to be released later this month - Jun 08, 2010
- Apple iPhone 5 release eagerly awaited - Jan 12, 2011
- Over 1 mn iPhone 3GS sold in first three days of debut: Apple - Jun 23, 2009
- Half a billion Android devices activated: Google - Sep 13, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Apple iPhone 5 is slimmer, lighter (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- BlackBerry stock sinks as new device is no iPhone 4 'killer' - Aug 04, 2010
- Apple unveils slimmer, lighter iPhone 5 - Sep 13, 2012
- Facebook Used By 100 Million Apple Users! - Aug 24, 2010
- Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 4S in France, Italy - Oct 05, 2011
- New mobile app developed to monitor data theft - Jul 06, 2012
- Apple unveils new iPhone - Jun 08, 2010
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: 3g, address book, apple iphone, audio playback, bells and whistles, gbyte, gbytes, internet browsing, iphone, iphones, megapixel, mms messaging, regional variations, rest of the world, search capability, six hours, talk time, voice control, voice memo, worldwide developers conference