Apple denies claims Siri is anti-abortionDecember 3rd, 2011 - 12:03 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Dec 2 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Tech company Apple has been forced to come out after claims that its voice-activated assistant called Siri is anti-abortion. The rumors follow what Apple calls “not intentional” omission that results in the software failing to give direction to the nearest abortion clinic.
Apple said the service is a new technology so such omissions should be expected. Spokeswoman Natalie Kerris issued a statement on the claims explaining the company’s view on the issue.
The statement said that, “Our customers want to use Siri to find out all types of information, and while it can find a lot, it doesn’t always find what you want. These are not intentional omissions meant to offend anyone, it simply means that as we bring Siri from beta to a final product, we find places where we can do better and we will in the coming weeks.”
Pro-choice advocates raised concern that the software was not able to advice would-be mothers when they enquire about the nearest abortion clinic. The software which was introduced in Apple’s iPhone 4S device has turned out to be the most popular new feature on the smartphone.
The service which is currently available to US users only recognize voice speech and respond with a level of accuracy that shocks most users. Apple purchased the software in 2010.
- iPhone 4S launched in India starting Rs.44,500 - Nov 25, 2011
- iPhone 4S hits Indian stores, starts at Rs.44,500 (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Apple, Google working on wearable devices - Dec 20, 2011
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Facebook smartphone to be 'released next year' - May 28, 2012
- Apple faces new copyright suit in China - Jul 08, 2012
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Apple to launch smaller iPhone - Feb 11, 2011
- Apple working on less expensive iPhones - Feb 14, 2011
- Apple suspends iPhone 4S sales in Beijing, Shanghai - Jan 13, 2012
- Facebook Used By 100 Million Apple Users! - Aug 24, 2010
- Smartphone app tracks battlefield objects - Aug 31, 2012
- Apple iPhone 4S pre-orders top 1 mn in 24 hours - Oct 11, 2011
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Apple offers apology for problems with iPhone 4 - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: 4s, abortion clinic, accuracy, advocates, apple, beta, iphone, natalie kerris, new feature, new technology, new york dec, news tech, omission, pro choice, siri, smartphone, spokeswoman, voice speech