Apple criticized for the state of its Chinese factoriesJanuary 27th, 2012 - 10:39 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Beijing, Jan 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Apple has been criticized after the alleged condition of its workers in China was reported by the New York Times. The newspaper claims that the California tech company seems unconcerned about the deplorable conditions that employees of its suppliers in China work in.
The report alleges that workers work seven days in a week and they are made to stand for hours. The Chengdu assembly plant has been criticized for having the most deplorable condition. Four people were killed when an explosion rocked an assembly plant in the country. The New York Times report states that the explosion was caused by dangerous chemicals that are stored in the plant.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology work safety expert Nicholas Ashford told the newspaper that, “If Apple was warned and didn’t act, that’s reprehensible… But what’s morally repugnant in one country is accepted business practices in another, and companies take advantage of that.”
Apple recently announced a profit of $13 billion. The company has reportedly urged its manufacturers overseas to increase their production output. Apple sold $46 billion worth of its products in the last quarter of 2012.
Apple has denied any wrongdoing claiming that they have introduced strict supplier code so to enhance employee safety.
- Apple launches probe into unsafe factory conditions in China - Jan 27, 2012
- 2 dead, 16 injured after explosion in Foxconn factory in southwest China - May 21, 2011
- 'Suicides at Apple supply plants a lesson for companies' - Mar 29, 2011
- Apple Blamed For Poor Environmental Work Safety - Jan 21, 2011
- Chinese 'iPhone' factory workers hospitalised following 'harmful chemical exposure' - Oct 26, 2010
- Foxconn to shift some plants in China - Jul 08, 2010
- Apple Disparaged By China's Environmental Coalition, IPE, For Poor Standards Of Work Safety In Its Suppliers In China - Jan 21, 2011
- Woman commits suicide at China Foxconn plant - Nov 25, 2011
- Apple criticized for poor environmental & work safety standards in China - Jan 21, 2011
- Ten injured in Andhra agrochemical plant fire - Jun 30, 2012
- 18 injured in Andhra agrochemical plant fire (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Another Foxconn worker falls to death in China - Nov 05, 2010
- Workers in China's Apple factories forced to sign 'no suicide' pledge - May 02, 2011
- Japan nuke plant workers risking facing depression - Apr 20, 2011
- Foxconn denies accusations of illegal working conditions in China - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: assembly plant, california tech, chengdu, china work, chinese factories, dangerous chemicals, deplorable condition, deplorable conditions, employee safety, institute of technology, last quarter, massachusetts institute of technology, new york times, news apple, nicholas ashford, report states, safety expert, technology work, work safety, wrongdoing