Another Facebook Information Leak Raises Concern Over Security PolicyJuly 29th, 2010 - 7:20 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
July 29, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The privacy settings of the social networking website Facebook has long been a matter of concern for lawmakers and millions of Facebook users. While the company demands that it is working towards securing the private information of the users from leaking on the web, the recent case in point once again has brought to the forefront the faulty internet security settings of the website. A Canadian internet security consultant named Ron Bowes, has come up with a list of limited personal data on about 100 million Facebook users that he collected from the website in an attempt to point to the company’s controversial privacy settings.
As per reports, Ron Bowes used a particular code that was able to fish out information from all Facebook accounts of users who have not opted to hide their profile information manually. The reports claim that the web researcher was not only able to gather information like account names, profile URL and contact details but also phone numbers and email addresses that he did not make public. The code was also able to pull the buddy list. To point to the horrific effect that such a faulty security settings might lead to, Ron Bowes had put all the gathered data on a website from where it can be easily downloaded.
What has increased the concern all the more is that; the action of Ron Bowes cannot be compared or equated to that of a hacker in any way. He had acquired the information that was already freely and legally available online. Simon Davies of London-based Privacy International, said to a media source that “it is inconceivable that a firm with hundreds of engineers couldn’t have imagined a trawl of this magnitude”.
- Profiles of 100 mn Facebook users leaked online - Jul 29, 2010
- 100m Facebook users' personal info published online - Jul 29, 2010
- 171 million Facebook users info leaked - Jul 29, 2010
- 500 Million Facebook Profiles: Exactly What User Info Was Leaked? - Jul 29, 2010
- Man who harvested data of 100m Facebook users speaks out - Jul 30, 2010
- Personal Info Of 100 Million Facebook Users Leaked, Accumulated And Printed Online - Jul 29, 2010
- Facebook users on IE get a request to download the gzip_detect.php file - Aug 13, 2010
- 'See who viewed your profile' is latest Facebook scam - Nov 30, 2010
- Cyber criminals to target social networks, mobile devices: Security Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Government denies internet censorship, Modi joins protest - Aug 24, 2012
- Firefox plots system to stop firms from tracking you online - Dec 01, 2010
- Facebook loses friends over privacy settings - May 15, 2010
- Taliban posing as girls on Facebook to befriend soldiers - Sep 10, 2012
- Government denies censorship as Twitter agrees to block imposter sites (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: account names, canadian internet, case in point, company demands, dey, facebook, information leak, internet security consultant, internet security settings, madhuri, media source, networking website, personal data, phone numbers and email addresses, privacy international, privacy settings, simon davies, social networking, trawl, web researcher