Android taking over the smartphone marketMarch 8th, 2012 - 12:48 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Mar 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Google’s Android OS is fast crowding the smartphone market. Market analysts ComScore Inc. reports that three in every four smartphones in the United States currently runs on the Android OS or on Apple’s platform.
The company reports that the data represent figures which were captured in the three months ended January. The report said Apple has 29.5 percent of the market share in the United States.
The figures reveal that Android’s share of the market went up by 2.3 percent from the previous quarter. The company’s market share currently stands at 48.6 percent. Over the same period, Research In Motion (RIM), makers of the Blackberry brand, saw their market share go down by 2 percent to settle at 15.2 percent.
Apple and Google have a combined market share of 78.1 percent, giving the two absolute control of the market.
An analyst at Needham & Co. Inc, Charlie Wolf, told reporters that, “We now have effectively a duopoly in the U.S. Market.”
In the United States, it is estimated that about 100 million people use smartphones. The smartphone market is expected to grow over the coming months.
ComScore reported that they surveyed about 3,000 smartphone users in the United States during the poll.
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Apple pushes BlackBerry to third spot in smartphone market - Jul 06, 2011
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Survey reveals that Android and Apple control 71 percent of the smartphone market - Nov 30, 2011
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- Android to capture 49 percent of market by 2012 - Apr 08, 2011
- Steve Wozniak: Android will beat iOS - Nov 18, 2010
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Android phones more desired in US than iPhone or BlackBerry: Report - Apr 27, 2011
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Apple beats Google in US smartphone market - Jan 26, 2012
- China's smartphone firms warned of patent disputes - Apr 15, 2012
- Ice cream sandwich powered Galaxy Nexus makes its debut - Oct 19, 2011
- Facebook smartphone to be 'released next year' - May 28, 2012
- Android overtakes Symbian as world's most popular smartphone OS - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: 100 million, absolute control, apple, blackberry, charlie wolf, duopoly, google, market analysts, market share, needham, poll, research in motion, rim, s market, smartphones, three months, united states, wolf