Amazon reveals that their Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacksJanuary 28th, 2011 - 9:59 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Seattle, Jan 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Amazon has revealed that it sold more Kindle-based ebooks than paperbacks during the last quarter of 2010.
Kindle is the leading ebook reader in the world. Bloomberg reported that the device currently has about 41.5 percent of the market share in the United States. The number of Kindle devices sold in 2010 was 2.4 million and the figure is expected to climb to about 8 million this year.
The CEO of Amazon, Jeff Bezos said that, “Last July we announced that Kindle books had passed hardcovers and predicted that Kindle would surpass paperbacks in the second quarter of this year. So this milestone has come even sooner than we expected - and it’s on top of continued growth in paperback sales.”
Amazon announced last year January that for every 115 ebooks sold, there were only 100 hard copies sold.
Ebook readers have changed the way that information is conveying. The device is quickly turning hard copy books into old fashion. Currently, all the major tech companies have indicated their willingness to release their own ebook readers. The success of Apple’s iPad has greatly speeded up the rush.
- Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks - Jan 31, 2011
- Amazon Kindle e-book downloads surpass paperback books in US - Jan 29, 2011
- Kindle outsells print versions of books - May 20, 2011
- E-books outsell hardbacks on Amazon - Jul 21, 2010
- Amazon sells over 4 mn Kindle devices in December - Dec 30, 2011
- Harry Potter eBooks come to Amazon Kindle library - May 11, 2012
- Is e-reader sounding paperback's death knell? - Apr 13, 2012
- Amazon introduces new Kindle e-reader, HD tablet - Sep 07, 2012
- Amazon.com Presents 'Kindle' Worth $139 As Its Rivalry Against Apple Intensifies - Jul 30, 2010
- Kindle best-selling gadget in Britain, US - Jan 01, 2011
- Amazon Unveils New $139 Kindle, as Copia Announces Upcoming $99 E-Reader - Jul 30, 2010
- US sues Apple over e-book price fixing scheme - Apr 12, 2012
- ebook gadgets help popularise literary classics - Dec 27, 2010
- $139 Kindle: A Cost Effective Alternative To iPad - Jul 30, 2010
- US sues Apple, publishers over e-book pricing - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: amazon, apple, ceo, ebook reader, hard copies, hard copy books, ipad, jan 28, jeff bezos, last quarter, market share, milestone, old fashion, paperbacks, rush, seattle, second quarter, willingness