2 dead, 16 injured after explosion in Foxconn factory in southwest ChinaMay 21st, 2011 - 3:23 am ICT by BNO News
CHENGDU, CHINA (BNO NEWS) — An explosion on Friday killed two people and injured 16 more in a Foxconn factory in southwest China’s Sichuan Province, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
At about 7:00 p.m. local time, a blast occurred at a workshop in the Hongfujin Precision Electronics plant, a subsidiary of Taiwan-based Foxconn Technology Group. The compound is located in the provincial capital of Chengdu.
The 16 injured workers were transported to a local hospital. Three of them were reported in serious condition. A spokesman of Chengdu’s government said that the cause of the blast is still under investigation.
Foxconn spokesman Qian Ding said that the explosion was accidental and was under control. He added that the incident took place in the polishing section of the factory and staff was evacuated due to the toxic smoke that emanated from the blast.
The Chengdu plant was inaugurated last October. It is used to manufacture laptop computers and Apple’s iPad 2. Foxconn, the world’s largest electronics contractor, invested $2 billion in the compound.
The Taiwan-based Foxconn Technology is the main manufacturing contractor of Apple and produces many items including the iPad 2. The company did not inform if the production of the demanded iPad will be disrupted.
- Foxconn to shift some plants in China - Jul 08, 2010
- No compensation if staff commits suicide: Foxconn - Jun 09, 2010
- Foxconn staff in China get 66 percent pay hike - Oct 02, 2010
- Foxconn plans to create 400,000 new jobs - Aug 19, 2010
- Foxconn's Shenzen factory to increase wages by 20% in light of employee suicides - May 29, 2010
- Apple sues Samsung over Galaxy phones, tablets - Apr 19, 2011
- Wage rise at Foxconn after string of suicides - Jun 02, 2010
- Foxconn workers rally to boost morale - Aug 19, 2010
- Apple Blamed For Poor Environmental Work Safety - Jan 21, 2011
- Workers in China's Apple factories forced to sign 'no suicide' pledge - May 02, 2011
- Apple Disparaged By China's Environmental Coalition, IPE, For Poor Standards Of Work Safety In Its Suppliers In China - Jan 21, 2011
- Foxconn India plant shut down after toxic gas leak (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- 13 killed in China factory blast (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Foxconn denies accusations of illegal working conditions in China - Oct 12, 2010
- One year, 10 suicides in Chinese electronics factory - May 27, 2010
Tags: apple, bno, chengdu china, explosion, injured workers, ipad, laptop computers, local hospital, local time, precision electronics, provincial capital, sichuan province, southwest china, spokesman, subsidiary, taiwan, technology group, toxic smoke, xinhua news agency