Zonal champions India off for Polo World CupSeptember 27th, 2011 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 27 (IANS) The Indian team is off for the World Cup Polo Championships in San Luis, Argentina, to be played Oct 10-21.
India, winners of the Asian-Australasian-African Championships final at the Royal Selangor Polo Club, are leaving early to get acclimatised to the local ground, weather conditions and the horses they will be using during the tournament.
The Indian Polo Association ran a 25-day national coaching-cum-fitness camp Sep 1-25 under national coach Brigadier V.P. Singh (Retd) at the 61st Cavalry Polo Ground, Jaipur. The team will play some practice matches in Argentina before the World Cup.
The ten top teams which will participate from all over the world include India, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Pakistan, the US and two teams from Zone ‘C’.
India won the zonal play-offs, beating Pakistan 12-9 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was the first-ever international polo title outside India in the Asian-Australasian-African Championships final at the Royal Selangor Polo Club. In the process, India also became the first country to lift the new Malaysia Cup, a sterling Silver Cup with an engraving of the Bunga Raya hibiscus, Malaysia’s national flower.
Indian had earlier beaten Pakistan in 2000 and 2007 and thus maintained their supremacy over their neighbours.
India is considered among the four best teams in the world and has a great chance in the World Cup.
“This is the best polo team from India in 20 years. This team has a bright future. Indian polo has come of age and we will be heading to Argentina (for FIP Polo World Cup Finals) with confidence,” said Indian team manager Vikram Singh Rathore.
The Indian team is sponsored by Team Jindal Polo, Jindal Steel and Power, Hemant Sagar, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd, Ashok Piramal Group, Achrysil India Ltd, Gaj Singh of Jodhpur and Tilak Nagar Industries.
- Indian polo team leaves for World Cup - Sep 28, 2011
- World polo body hopeful of game getting back to Olympics - Dec 18, 2011
- 1996 Olympics: Divided Indian hockey team make another poor finish (Sports Special) - Jul 21, 2012
- Malaysian-Indian hockey star conferred higher royal title - Apr 21, 2011
- India play Britain for podium finish; New Zealand-Argentina final - Jun 03, 2012
- India trump Argentina in Buenos Aires polo match - Nov 18, 2010
- It is an honour to be in India: Polo legend Gracida - Dec 18, 2011
- Chettri to lead India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 12, 2012
- Indian team announced for junior women's Asia Cup - Jun 05, 2012
- Calcutta Polo Club celebrates 150th year by winning Ezra World Cup - Dec 25, 2011
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- 1976 Olympics: India's worst show in hockey (Sports Special) - Jul 16, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India beat Pakistan to keep faint hope (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Aditya eyeing gold at Asian Snooker - Apr 18, 2012
- Akashdeep to lead India in Junior Asia Cup hockey - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: bunga raya hibiscus, cup polo, fitness camp, ground weather, indian oil corporation, international polo, jindal steel and power, kuala lumpur malaysia, malaysia cup, national flower, piramal group, polo association, polo club, polo team, polo world, royal selangor, san luis argentina, tilak nagar, v p singh, world cup finals