Zaheer, Ashwin restrict Australia to 333 in first innings (Lead)December 27th, 2011 - 9:36 am ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 27 (IANS) India’s pace spearhead Zaheer Khan and off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin took two wickets each on the morning of the second day to bowl out Australia for 333 in the first innings shortly before the lunch break in the first Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) here Tuesday.
At lunch, India were six for no loss with Virender Shewag batting on four and Gautam Gambhir two.
Australia, resuming at overnight 277/6, survived just 21 overs during which they added 56 runs and achieved a par total at the MCG. Zaheer finished with figures of four for 77 while Umesh Yadav and Ravichandran Ashwin bagged three wickets each.
Zaheer struck in the second over of the day to remove overnight batsman Brad Haddin (27). The Australian wicket-keeper stretched out for a fading ball and edged to Sehwag at gully. He walked from the pitch but had to wait several minutes on the field as the third umpire reviewed whether the bowler had bowled a no-ball.
Peter Siddle also departed soon after he was squared up by a late shaping out-swinger from Zaheer and edged behind for 41.
Ben Hilfenhaus (19) and James Pattinson (18 not out) added valuable 27 runs for the ninth wicket. Hilfenhaus was eventually out caught in the deep after he attempted to hit Ashwin out of the ground and Nathan Lyon (6) misjudged a sweep and was bowled behind his leg by a straight ball by the off-spinner.
- India lose openers early, trail Australia by 234 (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Tendulkar, Dravid hit half-centuries to lift India (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2011
- Australia bowled out for 333 in the first innings - Dec 27, 2011
- India suffer batting collapse, Hilfenhaus bags maiden fifer (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Triple strikes from Yadav trouble Australia (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day II - Dec 27, 2011
- Tea scoreboard: India vs Australia, First Test, Day II - Dec 27, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs Australia, First Test, Day II - Dec 27, 2011
- Australia convincingly win MCG Test (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs Australia, First Test, Day 3 - Dec 28, 2011
- India in dire straits against Australia (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Australia, First Test, Day 4 - Dec 29, 2011
- Openers give India strong start; Ojha gets maiden five-wicket haul - Nov 07, 2011
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. Australia, First Test, Day 4 - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,