Zaheer Abbas tips Pakistan to win ODI series against Windies ‘emphatically’April 22nd, 2011 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, April 22(ANI): Former Test captain Zaheer Abbas has tipped Pakistan to sweep the One-day International (ODI) series against the West Indies, beginning from Saturday (tomorrow) in St Lucia.
“Pakistan have almost taken a full-fledge team to West Indies, while the hosts, already the underdogs in the series, would really feel the absence of their top batsmen,” The News quoted Zaheer, as telling PPI.
“West Indies won’t have their experienced players like Chris Gayle, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan during the series, so it shouldn’t be difficult for Pakistan to win the series emphatically,” he maintained.
Pakistan began their West Indies tour with a warm-up game on April 18 before a one-off Twenty20 International in St Lucia on Thursday. They will meet West Indies in a five-match ODI series before ending the tour with two Tests.Zaheer said that all the aces are in Pakistan’s hand, as they would also have psychological advantage of having beaten West Indies by 10 wickets in the 2011 World Cup quarterfinal in Dhaka last month.
Pakistan’s limited-overs squad for the Caribbean tour includes five players yet to play for the senior team- wicketkeeper Mohammad Salman, batsman Usman Salahuddin, allrounder Hammad Azam and pacers Sadaf and Junaid Khan- apart from other youngsters like batsmen Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal and bowler Wahab Riaz.
Zaheer advised the young players to stay focused during the series, and said that they should make full use of any opportunity they get.
“It would be a great opportunity for Pakistani youngsters to showcase their talent and cement their place in the team,” he added. (ANI)
- Windies tour golden opportunity for young Pak cricketers to prove their worth: Intikhab - Apr 19, 2011
- Gul will return with bang in Pakistan's Test series against Windies: Intikhab - Apr 10, 2011
- ODI series win against Windies first priority for Pakistan: Afridi - Apr 28, 2011
- Unfit Pakistan pacer Cheema ruled out of Windies tour - Apr 07, 2011
- Afridi delays departure for Windies tour due to "some personal work" - Apr 15, 2011
- Pakistan justified 'unpredictable side' tag by losing T20 against Windies: Qadir - Apr 23, 2011
- Pak cricket team leaves for Caribbean tour - Apr 14, 2011
- Pak bowling, fielding has shown dramatic improvement in last 12-14 months: Waqar - Apr 15, 2011
- Talha eyes comeback to Pak team after successful domestic season - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistan drop Razzaq, Kamran from ODIs, T20 side - Apr 06, 2011
- Gayle out of T20, two ODIs squad against India - May 30, 2011
- West Indies to bat against Pakistan - Mar 23, 2011
- Desmond Haynes roped in as West Indies batting consultant - Apr 19, 2011
- Sarwan dropped from West Indies squad for third Test - Jul 04, 2011
- Kamran, Razzaq, Younus omitted from Pak squad for West Indies tour - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: akmal, allrounder, asad, batsman, caribbean tour, chris gayle, hammad, junaid, odi series, psychological advantage, riaz, sadaf, salahuddin, sarwan, shivnarine chanderpaul, twenty20 international, usman, wahab, windies, zaheer abbas