Yuvraj takes five, Ireland all out for 207 (Lead)March 6th, 2011 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 6 (IANS) Yuvraj Singh took his maiden five-wicket haul as India bowled our Ireland for 207 in a World Cup Group B contest at the choc-a-bloc M.Chinnaswamy Stadium here Sunday.
Part-timer Yuvraj was effective with his left-arm spin and finished with 5-31 that included the wicket of Ireland captain William Potterfield, who scored a fighting 75.
Yuvraj also dismissed Kevin O’Brien (9), Ireland’s star in their sensational victory against England with the World Cup’s fastest century.
Ireland, coming on the back of a brilliant chase against England, did not set the field alight, but certainly did not embarass themselves.
After India decided to bowl first, Zaheer Khan (3-30) gave India a good start as he rattled the stumps of Paul Stirling in the first over. He then removed Ed Joyce in his next over and Ireland were two wickets down with nine runs on the board.
With Zaheer getting good movement from the pitch and spinners operating with the new ball, Ireland batted with extra caution and scored only 27 runs in 10 overs.
Porterfield and Niall O’Brien then joined hands to add 113 for the third wicket. O’Brien made a well-constructed 46 off 78 balls with the help of three fours, but fell short of a deserving 50, thanks to some good fielding by Virat Kohli.
Andrew White (5) did not stay for long and became Yuvraj’s first victim.
Kevin was dismissed when Yuvraj took a catch off his own bowling. Ireland slipped to 147-5 in 33.4 overs and could never recover.
Porterfield, who batted with purpose, was the next to go caught by Harbhajan Singh at covers off Yuvraj. Alex Cusack (24) and Trent Johnson (17) took the score past 200.
- Yuvraj stars with bat and ball to take India home (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: India vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 06, 2011
- Ireland end World Cup campaign with six-wicket win over Netherlands (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2011
- England elect to bat against Ireland - Mar 02, 2011
- India elect to field against Ireland - Mar 06, 2011
- Ireland looking to replicate 2007 performance (Team profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 08, 2011
- Unfazed Ireland looks ahead for better performance - Mar 07, 2011
- West Indies overpower Ireland to stay in the hunt (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- An Irish buzz on the eve of their match against India (Preview) - Mar 05, 2011
- O'Brien wary of strong Indian batting, bowling line-up - Mar 04, 2011
- West Indies will be wary of fast-improving Ireland (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- World Cup scoreboard: India vs Ireland, Group B - Mar 07, 2011
- Frenzied fans bat for India against defiant Ireland - Mar 06, 2011
- West Indies 275 all out against Ireland - Mar 11, 2011
- Hopes helps 'unconvincing' Aussies' to 39-run win against Ireland - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: andrew white, captain william, choc a bloc, ed joyce, first victim, harbhajan singh, kohli, left arm, niall, o brien, part timer, paul stirling, porterfield, stumps, trent johnson, wicket haul, wickets, world cup, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan