Yuki wins Osaka Mayor’s Cup tennisOctober 12th, 2008 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 12 (IANS) India’s Yuki Bhambri defeated Japanese Hiroki Moriya to win the Osaka Mayor’s Cup at Osaka Sunday.Yuki, who got the top billing in the tournament, proved too good for second-seeded Moriya, pummeling him 6-2, 6-3 in the hard court event. This was Yuki’s second straight win over the Japanese who he had earlier defeated in Asia-Oceania Championships last year.
However, Yuki and Liang-Chi Huang of Chinese Taipei, were handed an upset defeat by Croats Marin Draganja and Vedran Ljubicic to finish runners-up in doubles.
The singles win in the Grade A event has given 16-year-old Yuki, who is currently ranked 18 in the world, 250 points and could propel him to the fourth place in the world junior rankings.
Yuki shot to limelight by reaching the semi- finals of the junior Australian Open in January but later slumped to a series a bad performances that saw him making early exits from the other three Grand Slams.
- US Open: Defending champions Paes-Black in mixed doubles final - Sep 09, 2009
- Gajjar crashes out, Yuki reaches second round of ITF (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- Yuki flawless in victory over fourth-seeded Japanese - Apr 22, 2009
- Yuki Bhambri wins Junior Australian Open in 2009 - Jan 31, 2009
- Yuki limps out, Ranjeet to meet De Voest in ITF semis - May 13, 2010
- Davis Cup: Yuki gives India 1-0 lead - Sep 14, 2012
- Shroff, Bisht lone Indians in ITF juniors semis - May 19, 2010
- Yuki in quarterfinals of ITF tournament - May 12, 2010
- India go down to Chinese Taipei in Junior Davis Cup - Apr 18, 2011
- We need another player in world's top-100: Somdev - Sep 20, 2011
- Yuki in Australian Open final, confident of pulling it off - Jan 30, 2009
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 2-0 lead against India - Apr 06, 2012
- Delhi boy Yuki creates history, wins junior Australian Open (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Gajjar, Yuki reach second round of ITF - May 11, 2010
- Yuki Bhambri wins maiden ATP Challenger singles title - May 20, 2012